Ash tree Borer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Chambers

Reaction score
I just had my Ash tree cleared of all the dead limbs. When the dead limbs were severed, red/black ants poured out of the holes, created by the ants through the center of the limbs. I have a segment that the tree trimmer left for me. My question is; will these ants eventually kill the tree?
Thanks,
Concerned about my TREE

I'm sure you have been asked this question multiple times however I've just joined and am concerned about my tree. I had a tree trimmer (by no means an Arborist) he cut a sample of one limb and it startled me. How can I get a Professional arborist to examine my tree to see what degree of damage it has sustained? Or if it is salvageable at all?

Look for this logo on some of the tree service advertising in your area:

certified-arborist-isa-logo.png

Now that's not a guarantee of getting a good honest tree professional, but it sure guarantees that you have a better chance of finding a good one. You might consider looking in ISA's directory of members for a Board Certified Arborist in your area if you really want a learned answer.

Your membership doesn't exactly tell us what part of the country you are in, so telling us where your tree is located is a step in the right direction for getting help here. Some ash problems are geographically restricted, other problems are not.

Pictures help a lot, too.

I'm sure you have been asked this question multiple times however I've just joined and am concerned about my tree. I had a tree trimmer (by no means an Arborist) he cut a sample of one limb and it startled me. How can I get a Professional arborist to examine my tree to see what degree of damage it has sustained? Or if it is salvageable at all?
Your location and pictures of the tree might be helpful. In many areas, ash trees that are as far gone as yours sounds like it is (you mentioned hollow limbs in your other post) are pretty much toast.

Ants are not like termites, and they do not eat the tree. Carpenter ants will definitely create nests in decaying trees, but they are generally not considered a great risk to the health of the tree, as they don't tunnel in the living wood. They are infamously unpopular when nibbling on the structural wood of houses, though.

In fact, ants are generally considered beneficial to the trees, since they are pretty aggressive predators of the insect world, and tend to attack and consume more damaging insects. That being said, some ant species are known to cultivate and protect aphids, somewhat to the detriment of the tree hosting them. There are also leaf-cutter ants, that can defoliate a tree and then farm the leaves below ground for the fungi that grows upon the harvested leaves.

I have never heard of these problems on an ash tree, so I think we should remove ants from the list of problems to worry about. Can we post some pictures of the specific areas of concern? Diagnosing tree problems is mighty tricky without pictures.

Have you checked for Emerald Ash Borer, they leave holes when mature which are kinda D shaped.
I have had carpenter ants in a few tree centers, including a tulip poplar, which dropped a huge branch filled with these ants. The tree had most likely been hot by lightning and was not in good shape.

The ants are there if the wood is soft and wet, so not a good sign.

Without pictures or location it's not easy to recommend a solution.

Ants and EAB are two completely seperate issues. The ants do not tunnel in live or solid wood. They will tunnel in wood already softened up by decay. They are not a health concern on trees. EAB lives just under the bark and will tunnel in solid wood. This area on a tree is the main conductive part that moves material absorbed in the root system to the leaves. EAB tunneling will disrupt the flow of those materials and kill the tree. Neither of these pests cause weakenig of the structural strength of the tree.

EAB beetle will destroy every ash tree it can get to , it decimated my area of New England , when infected it turns them into brittle skeletons that shatter like glass , unless you’re able to treat them early on , they will destroy every ash stand around, pic of dead ash tree’s the beetle killed on my land IMG_0134.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0134.jpeg
    IMG_0134.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back