Ash trees infected with the emerald ash borer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Man we are really being hit hard with the ash borer here in Pa. , I have 50 trees affected with the bark falling off in just a small area around me, its a real shame to see them all die , we are also losing are Hemlock trees .On the up side its going to make alot of good firewood but Im afraid its going to go to waste before it can all be used . I've heard it turns punky pretty fast if not cut and put under roof , you guys that have seen all of this going on for a while now what have you found if there left standing , how many years before there soft and punky .

Man we are really being hit hard with the ash borer here in Pa. , I have 50 trees affected with the bark falling off in just a small area around me, its a real shame to see them all die , we are also losing are Hemlock trees .On the up side its going to make alot of good firewood but Im afraid its going to go to waste before it can all be used . I've heard it turns punky pretty fast if not cut and put under roof , you guys that have seen all of this going on for a while now what have you found if there left standing , how many years before there soft and punky .

You'll have a couple years, I am waiting till fall to cut mine cause I think they will dry faster standing upright

It seems to me that the first 6/8/10 feet of the main trunk go punky but the rest of the tree is good for years when standing. I'm near to the epicenter of the EAB invasion and trees have been dead standing for over 10 years. They are starting to fall at a faster rate now and I have several a year to deal with on my woodlot. The best way to store it of course is to split and stack it - the second best way may be to leave them standing until you have time to deal with them. Of course with the OWB I still burn but all but the most rotten wood - if it can be split without disintegrating then it goes on the stacks for shoulder season.

Its kind of odd but it was explained to me buy some loggers that getting it under roof was critical or it would get punky in two years if left outside getting wet !! Not sure why it would go so fast ?

Its kind of odd but it was explained to me buy some loggers that getting it under roof was critical or it would get punky in two years if left outside getting wet !! Not sure why it would go so fast ?

punky for loggers and firewooders is 2 different things. I have an ash next to me felled by beavers but bridged on the stump 5 yrs ago that would still make decent firewood

I have yet to see the EAB here, but if they don't get here soon there won't be any ashes left to kill - they're all dying from ash yellows, a fungal wasting disease.

My experience is that an Ash tree too punky for firewood wouldn't be standing. The fibers weaken over time, and the tree snaps off....usually around 5-8' up, sometimes on a still and quiet night. Always has been excellent wood, but I do cut it as quickly as I can. Difficult keeping up as I have hundreds of Ash, some prob 30" or better.

I have heard people say to strip the bark on the standing dead, but I haven't noticed a difference in the two years I have been dealing with EAB kill.

Considering EAB was found here in probably 2004 / 2005 and 11 / 12 years later I'm still felling standing dead ash for firewood I'd say you've got time to work a plan. I'm certain there are variables but i think about 10 years is the real limit. The past few years I'm leaving more & more of the wood on the ground in the woods. I've dropped 16" trees that didn't have a stick of saleable wood in them this year and last.

Like above I have been dealing with the dead Ash trees for about 12 years now on my property and the neighbors. Funny thing happened with them, first year of showing signs of dying I had trees loaded with seeds and the 2 year suckers all up and down the bark I believe in an attempt to live. About year 6 some were falling in high wind times usually part of the root system and trunk. Along about year 10 I started getting some snapping off any where from 2 to 10 feet high but the wood was still solid. I believe the solid wood is partly the reason they snap off. They are not flexible like live trees are and give a little in the wind.

I walk my pups in the woods twice a day every day weather permitting. As soon as I see a snapped off or up rooted tree I cut it up and stack it on some bass wood skids till I can get the tractor & trailer back to them and haul them out. I only cut down any standing ones when I have the down stuff taken care of and I need more fire wood for the year.

I need to take the camera back and take some pictures of my & neighbors stuff.
I do know that standing in my area it will be good solid fire wood for at least 12 years and suspect even 15 years.

:D Al

The stage that i am wondering about is when the bark starts to come off in small strips and you can see the tree sticking out like a sore thumb from 40 -50 yards away , from this point when its very easy to see there infected how long do I have to get them processed .Thanks for all the reply's and info .

Could ash yellows disease be taking over after the ash borer is done and that's why some of the these trees are going punky faster than others and thats why its important to get them cut and dry .

Woodpeckers are pulling that bark off to eat the bugs. After the last leaves come off I'd say you have 2-3 years standing before they fall/break off. After that as long as they are not touching the ground the wood will last a long time. With proper air space and off the ground, cut n split it should last years and years uncovered. We've had eab here for 15 years. I cut entire stands of dead/dying ash all the time.

Could ash yellows disease be taking over after the ash borer is done and that's why some of the these trees are going punky faster than others and thats why its important to get them cut and dry .

I think the order is reversed, yellows makes the tree even more susceptible to EAB; at least what I have seen around here. By the time you see that EAB scabs the tree is pretty well dead IMHO

If I was you I'd first get your next year's firewood put up then work on getting the worse looking ash felled, bucked, and stacked off the ground under cover. Then it will be waiting for you when you have time.

I'd expect EAB to be here sooner rather than later as these mild winters won't freeze them out like they used to. I'll be hoarding at that point as black ash doesn't seem to last as long as the others once it dies.

Seems like they last longer up north, Central Ohio seems to be about 4 years or so it gets a little warmer here so they break down a little faster.
Chad

I've got a friend in WV who has been cutting an burning standing dead Ash for 10/12 years now too.

:D Al

Back