Ashes and plastic buckets.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadthestove

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I woke up about 6 am this morning and came downstairs and loaded my furnace.I also decided that I would clean ashes out of the freestanding in the family and build a fire in it also.

The last time I loaded the stove was thursday night.I figured ashes would be cool in this length of time.when I shoveled them into the bucket I didnt notice any hot coals .I placed the bucket in garage and came back in and started fixing breakfast.In just a short while I kept noticing a Burning smell in house .When I opened door going Into garage I nearly wet my pants .the garage was very smokey ,after a quick search I found the bucket with the side melted out of it.
I generally use a metal bucket for my ashes but not today,,Lesson learned

Yep plastic is gonna be prone to melting. I shoveled out my stove this morning. Coals and all right into the bucket on the tractor. Another reason for enjoying my OWB...ash clean out is made so easy.

Yep plastic is gonna be prone to melting. I shoveled out my stove this morning. Coals and all right into the bucket on the tractor. Another reason for enjoying my OWB...ash clean out is made so easy.

That is exactly what we do as well. Man that is so nice not having to worry about making a mess with an indoor stove.

And make sure whatever the metal bucket you use is suitable. Alot of those paper thin galvanized trash buckets at the hardware / box store don't make for good ash cans.

Even if you use a metal bucket be careful, my wife has set the woods behind our house on fire more than once!:at-wits-end:

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, compdre... I came close to a fire when I dumped what I thought were cold ashes at the woods edge years ago.

Hot coals can survive for days when buried in ash.

Fred beat me to it. I was going to say be careful spreading them too. I got the bright idea of spreading ash on a newly planted bed of garlic. It wasn't soon after, my mulch (ground leaves and straw) was smoldering and almost caught fire. Since then, I only spread them after a rain or when there's snow on the ground. I'd be sick if I caught the woods on fire. It's amazing how long those coals stay active.

I just heard about someone using a metal trash can for their ashes. They just finished cleaning out the stove and put the can in the garage to cool before dumping. His wife brought the trash out to the garage and put it in the trash can, they said the flames coming out of the can were really tall.

Even if you use a metal bucket be careful, my wife has set the woods behind our house on fire more than once!:at-wits-end:

My neighbors wife burned up the whole hillside. One dry late fall morning she dumped the ashes before leaving for work. It burned for 6 hrs. When I came home I thought "Dennis finally burned his leaves". As I drove a bit further, I noticed little smoking saplings. Now I'm thinking "Where the heck is Dennis?" Finally, when I realize his truck is gone. It dawned on me. As I get to my own driveway I could see it had burned a substantial area. Despite burning three yards little damage was done. In near poetic justice, the only buildings damaged were his own. Where he hadn't trimmed the grass around his house and shed, the vinyl siding melted. Thank god the wind was near calm that day or it could have been much worse. We're in a pretty rural area where the volunteer fire dept shows up with rakes and shovels rather than hoses as there are no hydrants nearby.

Last edited:
Fire
Ash
Plastic bucket
Smoke filled house
Breakfast.....

Kinda sounds like something I'd do.......:msp_biggrin:

One thing NOT to do

Clean the ashes out in a metal bucket, then dump creosote from the chimney cleanout on top of the ashes........

Trust me....

Don't do it

One thing NOT to do

Clean the ashes out in a metal bucket, then dump creosote from the chimney cleanout on top of the ashes........

Trust me....

Don't do it

:bang: was there an insurance claim involved? I have a pretty good idea how that day went. Tested the smoke alarms? Maybe inspired a little fresh paint on the ceiling?

:bang: was there an insurance claim involved? I have a pretty good idea how that day went. Tested the smoke alarms? Maybe inspired a little fresh paint on the ceiling?

:D:D. After the slight flair up I threw ashes from the other bucket on top to smoother it out.

No damage, just stunk real bad. Thankfully my furnace is in the basement.

I posted this in another thread a while back. Ash tray gets dumped into a stainless bin. Bin goes into the garage, on the floor, until cool to the touch. Bin get dumped into a 55 gal. drum outside the house. Drum has a lid on it. :msp_smile:

Hey I did that today also!!
I cleaned out my stove and put them in a plastic bucket, half way to the compost pile the bucket got lighter and lighter.

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back