Aspen Transplanting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrswatt

Reaction score
Does anyone know the best time and way to transplant aspens? Our grove has several "babies" and we want to move them to another part of the yard to start a new grove. I've heard that you need to let them go dormant before digging but a nurseryman told me recently that I could dig them now. I'm not totally convinced he knew what he was talking about though. I don't want to kill the little suckers so I'd appreciate it if anyone knows for sure.

One of the problems is that they may actualy be suckers. Sprouts coming off the root of one of the bigger trees. Many Populus propigate vegitativly to the poin the can be a problem. Use the garden hose to see where the are comming from, If they are suckers on smaller roots you can still prune them off and trans plant. If they came from seed, then finish the prosses with the hose and pu them into freed up soil with the roots radiating out and the root flair above grade. Lightly press the soil to firm it up without compacting.

Latest posts

Back