Asplundh JEX Chipper - Transmission leaking fluid from Torque Converter Seal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

towmotormatt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been having some trouble with the PTO unit on the Ford 300 industrial motor for my '71 JEX Series 12" chipper. The manual I got with the chipper sucks, and doesn't have anything on the engine or PTO etc, leave alone a parts list.

It was leaking when I bought it a couple years ago and was told it needed a new torque converter seal. Took it apart recently and pulled the old seal out which looked like it was in pretty good shape to begin with. The seal was a Victor #49649.

This was cross referenced to another seal number and I put it in but it still leaks like a bastard. I think the seal I pulled out was the wrong type of seal to begin with, as it had a single lip versus the double lip I'm used to seeing on oil seals.

The tag on the power unit was painted over, so I painstakingly took the paint off, with remover first, then picking at it. Unfortunately when I finally got under the paint, the tag turned out to have been beat unrecognizable. I was barely able to make out a "Funk" and "coffeyville" which sounds like Funk Manufacturing of Coffeyville, KS built it. the casting number on the transmission is B20B-1. The input shaft housing has some numbers, and the torque converter has PT 131 91 stamped into it. Pictures below for reference.

1) Can anyone tell me what model Funk PTO unit is this, so I can try and find a parts list for it.

2) Would someone be able to tell me what seal number am i supposed to be using on these transmissions?

Last time I called Altec, they told me the machine was too old and they didnt have info on it... Any advice would be appreciated.

chipper1.jpg

chipper2.jpg

chipper3.jpg

chipper4.jpg

Looks like bearings as well...

Matt,

From the pics it looks like your shaft is offset, meaning bearings. If your bearings are worn too, which is very possible from the age of your machine, then a seal alone won't cut it. Check the end play which will give you an indication of the shape of your bearings. You may be looking at a partial or total teardown/rebuild.

Bummer.

Good Luck!

BOB

Hmm, the spindle does not affect the seal, as the seal goes over the torque converter inlet and the converter is bolted to the flywheel.

A friend did suggest the possibility of an eccentric alignment, so I am planning to check the torque converter alignment to the crankshaft with a mag base and dial indicator to verify if it is on center or not.

You're in the ballpark..

Alignment is key. A lot of people think that most parts are just bolt in deals. Stick to the basics with rotating parts, concentricity being a key component. Hopefully you can adjust/shim it square and plum and that is the answer.

Stick to basics, it solves most mechanical issues.

Semper Fi & Good Luck!

BOB

This thing has an automatic clutch??? Never seen such a thing on an old Asplundh. Consider switching to a FUNK clutch and pto.
You should be able to find the whole assembly without to much trouble.

old post but maybe this info can help others. Model .no D2JL-7275A Spec .no 4496
in my research I found that funk is owned by john deer now and they told me that they sold the pto housing and the equipment (chipper) manufacture put their own internals inside to suit their needs. my mitts and merrill has the same pto, the previous owner took its bad gears and torque converter to a transmission shop that was able to determine they where ford parts and it was rebuilt for about $400

I bought the chipper and am having problems with it over flowing when its off and being way to low when its running... searching for info is what brought me here.

old post but maybe this info can help others. Model .no D2JL-7275A Spec .no 4496
in my research I found that funk is owned by john deer now and they told me that they sold the pto housing and the equipment (chipper) manufacture put their own internals inside to suit their needs. my mitts and merrill has the same pto, the previous owner took its bad gears and torque converter to a transmission shop that was able to determine they where ford parts and it was rebuilt for about $400

I bought the chipper and am having problems with it over flowing when its off and being way to low when its running... searching for info is what brought me here.
Converter drain back can caused by excessive clearance between the converter hub and pump bushing or pump gears. Also check the cooler circuit for a check valve, maybe it isn't seating.

Back