268 Fuel Leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slang

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've got a fuel leak when I lay, or hold my saw horizontally out of the sprocket/clutch side. This is a 1996 model straight 268, I was told that there was a "formed rubber grommet, and fuel line" that seals the tank from doing this. Supposedly Husqvarna supplied a replacement kit for this problem at one time, and it's no longer available from them. I called Bailey's and talked to a nice guy there who checked the fuel line for my saw by serial number, and according to him this saw doesn't have any kind of grommet listed. I wonder if it's possible if the handle/tank on my saw has been replaced with a different model handle? And if that is a possibility, does anyone know where I might be able to find a fix for this leak? Have you guys had any experience with this issue?

Thanks in advance

You need to pull the grommet in the case to see down to where the line goes into the tank. There were two types of lines. One is a standard size fuel line and the other is a larger line in the area where it exits the tank. The larger Husky line is a formed line with the larger diameter in the area where it exits the tank,there is no separate grommet. Sometimes they wear over time and develop a leak. Look at the area I'm talking about and see if you can see the fuel leaking from there. It will be pretty clear what you need once you figure out what type of line you have.

Ok, I appreciate the help. Does what I was saying about the formed line being no longer available hold true? Or do you know if it can still be gotten? and if it can still be gotten, who would you call? Nobody local around here knows anything about this variation in the series, the fuel line on this saw looks like someone used small weedeater fuel line.

Ok, I appreciate the help. Does what I was saying about the formed line being no longer available hold true? Or do you know if it can still be gotten? and if it can still be gotten, who would you call? Nobody local around here knows anything about this variation in the series.
Yes it's a very common part. If that is your problem,they are available online via ebay and just about every other chainsaw supply outlet. Oem number should be: 501 28 59 02

Yes it's a very common part. If that is your problem,they are available online via ebay and just about every other chainsaw supply outlet. Oem number should be: 501 28 59 02
Much obliged. I tried to set the carburetor on it today, and it was very erratic, either way too fat or way too lean. The idle screw was non responsive at all, and no matter what I did adjusting the H and L screws, it wanted to hesitate when I pulled the trigger to give it throttle. I think I'll go ahead and put a kit in the carburetor, while I'm replacing the fuel line. New gaskets, and a good cleaning of the fuel system. Nice old saw though, I think I'll be very pleased with it when I get the bugs worked out.

Thanks for your help.

Those tanks are among some of the very Easiest to R&R. Regardless of which type of line it is, a new one will be 'livelier' and more apt to seal. Were those saws prone to leak from the vent?

Those tanks are among some of the very Easiest to R&R. Regardless of which type of line it is, a new one will be 'livelier' and more apt to seal. Were those saws prone to leak from the vent?
I do not know the answer to that, this is the first 268 that I have owned. I found some 93 octane with zero ethanol at the local Go-Gas here in town, and mixed it 32:1 and that made it really jump pretty darned good. But, its definitely got some kind of a fuel/carburetor issue. The carburetor is a Irish built Tillotson. Those guys at Baileys on the West Coast said that they had the carb kit, fuel filter, and there were (2) different fuel lines listed. But the one for my serial number was just a straight line? That's why I was asking about the leaking issue. But if the previous owner did in fact put that small diameter weed eater fuel line on it, that could possibly be part of my problem don't you think?

Latest posts

Back