Assembling the NOS 084

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Setting the coil's air gap with a business card. Yes, it's my Stihl dealers card!
249571024-M.jpg

:ices_rofl:Sorry Brad, I had to LMAO at that one!

Even with a good sized set of ViseGrips, this is still not easy.
249570816-M.jpg

Oh boy... that's how to get hurt.

There's an amazingly simple and cheap tool to do that job... Aren't you looking in the service manual?

attachment.php

Hook spring on right side. Move left spring end to left post with tool, over post, rotate tool, and you're done... Used on almost all Stihls.

Last edited:

There's an amazingly simple and cheap tool to do that job... Aren't you looking in the service manual?

attachment.php

Hook spring on right side. Move left spring end to left post with tool, over post, rotate tool, and you're done... Used on almost all Stihls.

i bet a fellow could make that tool himself with a grinder and a dremel tool?

i bet a fellow could make that tool himself with a grinder and a dremel tool?

It's just a hardened steel tube with 180 degrees cut out on the end. You place it over the post while it holds the spring, then rotate it and it releases the tool, and leaves the spring against the post.

It's just a hardened steel tube with 180 degrees cut out on the end. You place it over the post while it holds the spring, then rotate it and it releases the tool, and leaves the spring against the post.

Looks like you could make one out of an old screwdriver!

So its the Govt that is donating to his addiction........Hmmmmmm..:) :)

Hey!!!!!! Wat A Minute!!!!!!! :monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

Wow, you guys are really bustin on ole Brad tonight!...:p

Well,,,,,,Maybe he needs a lil slappin around!!!!!! They wont hurt him at least thy aren't saying things Like,,,,,, Ya just cant fix Stupid!!!!!!!

Yeah and if you use it like it's shown in the SM it makes it very easy to install a brakespring from the right direction too,,, Much safer & easier than his previous posted method!!!!

Last edited:
Wow. No wonder I had troubled getting to sleep last night. I wasn't even here to defend myself.:cheers: I just got done placing my daily parts order. Seems like I find a couple odds and ends here and there each time I work on it. Guess I robbed too many parts from the pile putting the other two together:angry2:

I have a pair of automotive brake spring pliers that I use. One handle
end of pliers is just what Lake described.

attachment.php

That is a very handy tool...I was glad I bought that one...

I have done several that way with vise grips. Kind of a pain but it worked for me. After seeing the tool Lakeside and Ultra posted I now have a use for the broken screwdrivers in my garage besides turning them into scratch awls.

Latest posts

Back