Associates Degree in Forestry?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plang228

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am 18 and looking for what to do next, I am currently working in a woodshop for a year making some money so I can maybe go to school. I really like the idea of being an arborist, I've done a fair amount of saw work and have always been a climber and I was wondering if getting an associates degree from UNH in forestry would be a good step in the direction of getting into the business while having a wee bit of a backup.

I am 18 and looking for what to do next, I am currently working in a woodshop for a year making some money so I can maybe go to school. I really like the idea of being an arborist, I've done a fair amount of saw work and have always been a climber and I was wondering if getting an associates degree from UNH in forestry would be a good step in the direction of getting into the business while having a wee bit of a backup.

Paul Smith's College - Division of Forestry, Natural Resources, and Recreation - Arboriculture and Landscape Management

Look into it.

Looks pricey, my home state is actually NH. Also it would be great if I could spend two years a bit more focused of arborculture without so much emphasis on landscaping does anyone know of such a place?

Possibly Hocking College in Ohio - supposed to be one of the better Associate programs for Forestry (as is Paul Smiths...)

Looks pricey, my home state is actually NH. Also it would be great if I could spend two years a bit more focused of arborculture without so much emphasis on landscaping does anyone know of such a place?

The more well-rounded your education is, the better off you'll be. You will find that there is no single degree out there offering only arboriculture classes, unless it's a 1 year diploma or certificate.

If you still want more focus on arboriculture, there's ISA certifications and work experience.

Look into more than one school. Hocking, as stated below, is another good one.

Possibly Hocking College in Ohio - supposed to be one of the better Associate programs for Forestry (as is Paul Smiths...)

[video=youtube_share;tRPHZtLRJ7k]http://youtu.be/tRPHZtLRJ7k[/video]

SUNY Ranger School

[video=youtube;5hShrojL5-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hShrojL5-A[/video]

Not necessarily specific to arboriculture, but there is also the SUNY-ESF: SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry - The Ranger School in Wanakena, NY.

I have an employee that went there and my brother went to that school as well. I have been nothing but impressed with the students that come out of there. You may want to start working first so you know what you are getting into. There ain't no easy days in this business. The ranger school is a really cool program.

I like that you are looking towards an education, to many uneducated arborists out there. You can learn all that stuff on your own but it takes way longer. When you start pruning having a knowledge base of how a tree works makes all the difference.

Do any of you have experience with UNH and there Thompson school? It is my local state school (I am a resident of New Hampshire)

Do any of you have experience with UNH and there Thompson school? It is my local state school (I am a resident of New Hampshire)

It'll be cheaper for you tuition-wise to stay in NH.

But check out financial aid options that are available.

In the end, any school that's been listed here is good. The main thing is once you start, you finish and graduate, that's what employers care about.

Also look into a major in arboriculture with a minor in forestry, or vice versa. Plenty of people get on a career path based on their minor alone. The broader your education, the better chances for your future.

I have been working on a AS in ornamental horticulture at a local community college. Look around your state and see what the different schools have to offer you might be surprised. I have been going at night one class at a time(for 3 years now)and am only half way there.
I'm old and have lots of experience, lots of jobs ask for a degree or so many years experience. I am hoping to skate by with only a A.S. degree. But I would look for a community college near a state college so you could transfer after completeing your Associates and continue your education. Realistically an Associates is bare bones in the aborculture field. Now a Bachelors degree is entry level into a lot of way cool jobs.
As much as I love climbing trees and stuff, you don't want to have to do that for to many years. Check out the different jobs available
in this trade, You might be surprised. Apply for your grants from the FEDS and State, scholarships are sometimes available.
I hate it when old people say" if I knew then, what I know now, I would of did it different." Now it's me saying that:msp_tongue: Arborculture, Forestry, are great and interesting fields, and need educated, informed, people. Don't stop at an Associates.

Oh, and beware of anyone telling you that you can't transfer to a 4 year school if you do get an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) in Arboriculture, or Forestry or whatever versus an Associate of Arts (AS) in arboriculture, etc. That's BS. You can transfer just fine. I did it.

Latest posts

Back