Attempted saw 'pick" today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GoRving

I know an old man who closed-up his small engine shop recently. I knew that he had a decent collection of old saws that he had put in a separate room over the years, and I had seen them before, but couldn't get him to agree to sell any back then. He called me today, saying that he was ready to sell them. Knowing how "peculiar" this old fart is, I didn't get my hopes up very high. When I got there, he directed me to drive behind his shop, where he had piled all of the JUNK ones up. I asked him about the good ones that I had seen before, and he said that if I offered a good price on the junk ones, he would then let me into the room to make an offer on the good ones. Just listening to him talk, I could tell that he was going to want a "fortune" for all the junk Macs and Poulans, and knowing this man as I do, I expected a similar situation was going to occur, so I left. Oh, well. It takes all kinds, I guess.

Was the junk stuff you weren't interested in at all? If so, walking away was probably the best solution. If it was junk, I would have offered junk prices for it. ie, x amount per pound and weigh it up.

Nobody else would be able to deal with this guy, either. Trust me on that one.

Was the junk stuff you weren't interested in at all? If so, walking away was probably the best solution. If it was junk, I would have offered junk prices for it. ie, x amount per pound and weigh it up.
He would have wanted much more than junk prices for the junk. I simply wanted to get into the "good" room and offer a lot for the good stuff, but he wanted to play this "game" first with the junk. I went through a similar situation a few years ago, where he was going to make me buy a truckload of junk weedeaters before I could buy the now "junk" saws. :crazy:

So, if you are not interested and or don't trust him, offer up the deal to other members in your area.
If anybody in my area wants to try, I will give them his name, but they probably won't like me afterwards.

Some people have sentimental value attached to their stuff and that just doesn't translate to dollars. Just because some guys great great grandpappy used a chainsaw "just like" the one the guy is trying to sell me doesn't make it worth any more or less. If someone wants to invest hundreds or thousands of dollars into their kin's chainsaw, 1966 Mustang or house doesn't mean a thing to the market unless they bring it into a higher price bracket. I see this kind of thing all the time. Here in the south, someone will get a notion their vehicle is worth x dollars and won't sell it for a dime less even though that's twice as much as any sane person would pay. So these cars slowly sink into the mud and clay and a few years later bushes and trees are growing up under and through them.

Let the guy keep his junk pile and someday, his widow will have to pay someone to haul it away.

If you ever watch "American Pickers", they encounter people like this that want and need to sell stuff but when it comes right down to it, they won't sell stuff...

If you ever watch "American Pickers", they encounter people like this that want and need to sell stuff but when it comes right down to it, they won't sell stuff...

I like American Pickers, it's very entertaining.

But a lot of it is scripted and staged. That's not to say every "I can't part with it" scene is phony, but even if it's real it's known before they film it.

Latest posts

Back