Attention Shaver owners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that is the case, then my ISP (AT&T) must be filtering your ISP's traffic and the mail is never making it through.

See your PM inbox in a couple of minutes.

Steve

Well, Ben, it's been almost another week and I still haven't received any response from you, either here, by email, or by phone, carrier pigeon, snail-mail, Pony Express, etc......

Kindly read your Private Message and get back to me................

Regards

Screw it! I give up.

Just cancelled the order.

A guy less than two hours away has several Nature's Comfort units in stock. I'm making a road trip either tomorrow or Thursday with a trailer behind my truck...

Looks like a better furnace anyway....

Got to edit my signature....

Steve

If the price of oil keeps going down, there will be a lot more canceled orders. If I was a stove maker, I'd sure try to get rid of my inventory. If the oil doesnt get ya, the economy will. Just ordered a fill today just to have a full tank, also finally put the Shaver on line today. Way to early to comment yet. A few days should tell the tale.

:greenchainsaw:

So Long shaver!!!

I'm with you Projectsho89. I sent a P.M. to Ben (shaverfurnace) long ago with the same results. I think his posts are just lip service personally. My dealer finally got completely fed up with the lack of communication and asked for all deposits back. He could not get any info from shaver via phone or Email. He worked out a deal with Natures Comfort and now we all have furnaces less than a week later. I really like this furnace. It has many more features than shaver and looks better to boot. The warranty is identical, door is bigger, there is a water level indicator, fan door actuator, switch for light and fan, fire brick, looks better.......(I guess I said that already). shaver has some serious customer service issues and I'm glad I will not have to deal with them in the future I know Natures comfort is new on the scene, but I'll take my chances. A little communication would have gone a long way, but I dont have to worry about that anymore!!!!

I attached a pic..............

FYI out there..... the Nature's Comfort NCB-175 will fit on the slab that shaver recommends for the shaver 165. Allthough you don't need a slab for the NCB-175. I was worried about this when we switched furnaces because I had already poured the slab to shaver's dimensions, but it worked out just fine.

You are absolutely correct that the NCB-175 will fit the 165 slab.

Picked mine up today, a neighbor with a Bobcat T200 and pallet forks will be by first thing in the morning to set it on my pad. A run to the plumbing supply store tomorrow and I should get it hooked up on Friday, just in time for a cold front headed my way.

I got the chance today to see the 165 and the NCB-175 side by side. The build quality of the 165 reminded me of the worst of the Soviet-era tanks: Ugly as crap but it would probably get the job done. This thing was tube-trimmed with at least two tubes of black caulk.

All in all, I was happy to write a check for the more expensive NCB-175. A real ash pan, firebricks, bigger door, two 1/2" ports, a 3-speed circulating pump, a draft fan with a real damper, and metal work done by someone who knew what they were doing.

I'll have to charge up the digital camera tonight.

Steve

Ben, Ben ,Ben.......when will you learn?

You know, we've all seen this same situation in the past. Customers asking why you don't reply to e-mails or return phone calls and you always have an excuse. Customers getting 6 different delivery dates and still waiting.

e-mail got lost

the phones in Arkansas are on the blinks

You did respond

Its always the same song and dance.

I have personally sent e-mails and made phone calls too.

I didn't get hear anything back either.

When you gonna learn? You can't treat customers like that.

Word of mouth spreads fast and your company should do a better job than you are.

Yes....we all know how busy you are...so are all the OWB companies. Its not just you that's busy

Do yourself a favor and just be honest with people. The way you are doing business, your company will soon gain a bad reputation.

Its starting already!!!

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct that the NCB-175 will fit the 165 slab.

Picked mine up today, a neighbor with a Bobcat T200 and pallet forks will be by first thing in the morning to set it on my pad. A run to the plumbing supply store tomorrow and I should get it hooked up on Friday, just in time for a cold front headed my way.

I got the chance today to see the 165 and the NCB-175 side by side. The build quality of the 165 reminded me of the worst of the Soviet-era tanks: Ugly as crap but it would probably get the job done. This thing was tube-trimmed with at least two tubes of black caulk.

All in all, I was happy to write a check for the more expensive NCB-175. A real ash pan, firebricks, bigger door, two 1/2" ports, a 3-speed circulating pump, a draft fan with a real damper, and metal work done by someone who knew what they were doing.

I'll have to charge up the digital camera tonight.

Steve

take some close up pics of the damper/blower setup and post [art numbers if you don't mind. I'm interested in implementing that design in my boiler. Please take pics of the thermostat too. Good luck with the system, I'm glad you got one on such short notice.

I had taken all these at the local dealer thinking I was going to modify my shaver when it came. I know the 120v solenoid / actuator is available from Grainger. the arm is an eyelet turnbuckle that I would imagine you could find at grainger as well if not at the local hardware store. The Damper appears to be a metal plate with a piece of rubber bonded to the bottom with an eyebolt through the middle to attach to the turnbuckle. The hinge is attache to the blower housing with a self tapping sheeetmetal screw.

The p/n for the solenoid is 2005-M-1 (dormeyer products)

The p/n for the blower is 1TDP7 (DAYTON)

How did your digital Thermostsat work? Do you have any pics?

I had taken all these at the local dealer thinking I was going to modify my shaver when it came. I know the 120v solenoid / actuator is available from Grainger. the arm is an eyelet turnbuckle that I would imagine you could find at grainger as well if not at the local hardware store. The Damper appears to be a metal plate with a piece of rubber bonded to the bottom with an eyebolt through the middle to attach to the turnbuckle. The hinge is attache to the blower housing with a self tapping sheeetmetal screw.

The p/n for the solenoid is 2005-M-1 (dormeyer products)

The p/n for the blower is 1TDP7 (DAYTON)

How did your digital Thermostsat work? Do you have any pics?

I'll take some pics of my digital thermostat and overflow mod tonight. Was your plan to use the existing blower with a modification or get the other blower.

I see two options with the existing blower, either redrill the blower flange to mount it sideways (air intake up) and add the flapper solenoid mechanism. The second option would be to create some type of air duct that connects to the air intake on the blower and turns up 90* creating a horizontal plane for the damper mechanism. What are your ideas?

Having not seen the shaver, except in pictures, I was hoping to use the existing fan. I guess I figured removing the bolts and rotating it 90 would work. From your description it sounds as if the bolt pattern is not square. I would probably re-drill or make an adapter plate of some sort. Then figure the optimal height for the solenoid with the damper system loosely fitted together and weld a small bracket to the back of the stove. It's just one of those things, you just don't know until you get there. Let me know if you need any more info and I'll do my best. Looking forward to the pics of your thermostat set-up. Trenched my line in today. Soil is so sandy the trench kept caving in. ran two trenches side by side then hand dug the middle out. 75 feet...... my young back don't feel so young anymore................ But it's done!! Plumbing and electrical this weekend!!! :clap:

Having not seen the shaver, except in pictures, I was hoping to use the existing fan. I guess I figured removing the bolts and rotating it 90 would work. From your description it sounds as if the bolt pattern is not square. I would probably re-drill or make an adapter plate of some sort. Then figure the optimal height for the solenoid with the damper system loosely fitted together and weld a small bracket to the back of the stove. It's just one of those things, you just don't know until you get there. Let me know if you need any more info and I'll do my best. Looking forward to the pics of your thermostat set-up. Trenched my line in today. Soil is so sandy the trench kept caving in. ran two trenches side by side then hand dug the middle out. 75 feet...... my young back don't feel so young anymore................ But it's done!! Plumbing and electrical this weekend!!! :clap:

I posted it here:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=80462&page=2

Glad to see you guys are satisfied with your purchases. There's no question you guys have Cadillacs and we Shaver owners have Fords. But we are trying to upgrade....... and there's no question cost was a major factor in my case. Less than 6k for everything and I have enough pipe to go out to the garage if I think the stove will handle it.

Butt.............

12 hrs on absolute junk swamp wet pine ain't bad so far. And I'm not even mixing, straight junk, some 10 to 14 in rounds. Might as well find out early how it works. Saving the good stuff for Jan/Feb I'm cautiously optimistic.

:) :cheers:

Glad to see you guys are satisfied with your purchases. There's no question you guys have Cadillacs and we Shaver owners have Fords. But we are trying to upgrade....... and there's no question cost was a major factor in my case. Less than 6k for everything and I have enough pipe to go out to the garage if I think the stove will handle it.

Butt.............

12 hrs on absolute junk swamp wet pine ain't bad so far. And I'm not even mixing, straight junk, some 10 to 14 in rounds. Might as well find out early how it works. Saving the good stuff for Jan/Feb I'm cautiously optimistic.

:) :cheers:

We have fords, but they are a 1965 Ford Galaxy 500 with a solid frame and heavy gauge sheet metal. There's no doubt CB is the most popular boiler, but I like my ash pan and blower, not to mention the extra $2000 in my pocket. Isn't it great being able to burn crap that wouldn't normally burn unless it was soaked in gasoline?

I agree with everything you said except for the ash bin ( as I call it ) I'm still waiting for Ben to get back to us about the existence of an actual removable pan. Probably rig up something on my own like a lot of Shaver owners do for other things.. This is like customizing a hot rod back in the 50's and 60's..

Hellllooo Ben..........

Maybe we need to start a new thread.. entitle it " The Shaver Improvement forum "

:buttkick:

No excuses

Ben, Ben ,Ben.......when will you learn?

You know, we've all seen this same situation in the past. Customers asking why you don't reply to e-mails or return phone calls and you always have an excuse. Customers getting 6 different delivery dates and still waiting.

e-mail got lost

the phones in Arkansas are on the blinks

You did respond

Its always the same song and dance.

I have personally sent e-mails and made phone calls too.

I didn't get hear anything back either.

When you gonna learn? You can't treat customers like that.

Word of mouth spreads fast and your company should do a better job than you are.

Yes....we all know how busy you are...so are all the OWB companies. Its not just you that's busy

Do yourself a favor and just be honest with people. The way you are doing business, your company will soon gain a bad reputation.

Its starting already!!!

Hi!

Yes, I realize that customer service is a big real issue. I am personally 100% honest. I have zero control of what the factory or anyone else does.

If you had read my real long post of the e-mail I sent out, you would know the problems we face and what we are doing about them.

I personally make NO EXCUSES. I state FACT even if you don't like the answers.

The phones HAVE been on the blink for over a month despite MANY, MANY service calls and they finally rewired the whole building, starting at the service poles back (and added another phone line).

In regards to the fellow who claims I never answered. I answered THREE TIMES. Many ISPs block ANYTHING that looks remotely like spam and that can't be my fault. I didn't see his post about the private message.

You would not believe how many people have e-mails that bounce mailboxes that are full, blocked e-mails, etc. You wouldn't believe how many people send an e-mail with NO NAME and NO PHONE NUMBER! Incredible!!

I certainly can't control what the factory does. I am not the owner, I have my own business in NC - 700 miles away - and handle setting up the dealer network and Internet sales only.

They are making BIG strides towards meeting their goals. They have recently added personnel and are trying to catch up.

They just purchased the manufacturing building next door. We expect to double production in short order.

When everything is done on paper (for 36 years) instead of by computer, things get in a real big mess - fast. They didn't even know how many stoves were on order - thus the broken promises!

A new computer system to track all of the orders was ordered many months ago and I just got word this past weekend that it was up and running and could be used. This doesn't help with old orders until they are all entered into the system.

I am here to help - not get hit over the head. I relay as much information as possible; answer hundreds of e-mails, forward every single e-mail to the factory, give them a list of who to call, usually daily.

I strive to answer EVERY SINGLE RE-MAIL, every day. But hey, sometimes I am out of the office for 2 or 3 days! I have another life too.

Best regards,

Ben

Latest posts

Back