Attn: Stihltech or others

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatsnext

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My buddy's 029 has two small threaded metal pieces in the fuel tank vent line. The saw would only run for a few minutes with them in but now runs fine with them out. Can I just cap the vent line with a block of foam or do these little steel jobbies serve a purpose?
Thanks, John...

/Yes, 'steel jobbies' is the technical term.

The 'steel jobbies' prevent fuel from running out the vent tube when the saw is tipped. I'd clean 'em up and run 'em back in. Or at least one of them.

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing but you'd likely only spill fuel when you tipped the saw to the left. I think the vent line has shrunk to the point where the 'steel jobbies' are acting like plugs instead of vents. I'll replace the line and put one back in.
John..

whatsnext said:
I think the vent line has shrunk to the point where the 'steel jobbies' are acting like plugs instead of vents. I'll replace the line and put one back in.
John..

Very common.... often I just adjust them a few turns to a new part of the vent tube. Pop of the tube to do the bottom one.

Stihltech, One more question if you don't mind. My friend paid $90 for this saw a year or two ago and it looks like it's been run pretty hard. With my gauge the compression shows 105 lbs which I think is pretty low but the saw is suprisingly perky. I was going to suggest fresh rings but it seems like a lot of work for a saw with such crappy cosmetics and I'm not sure it would be a sure fix. I thought I'd tell him to run it till it won't start and then think about one of the aftermarket piston/cyl kits on ebay. Any thoughts?
Thanks, John..

whatsnext said:
Stihltech, One more question if you don't mind. My friend paid $90 for this saw a year or two ago and it looks like it's been run pretty hard. With my gauge the compression shows 105 lbs which I think is pretty low but the saw is suprisingly perky. I was going to suggest fresh rings but it seems like a lot of work for a saw with such crappy cosmetics and I'm not sure it would be a sure fix. I thought I'd tell him to run it till it won't start and then think about one of the aftermarket piston/cyl kits on ebay. Any thoughts?
Thanks, John..

If it starts and is "perky", it doenn't have 105lb compression. You're likely using the wrong type of compression guage... You need one with a schrader valve in the tip where it screws into the spark plug hole, or, you have a large % of the cylinder volume in the guage hose and it will read low.

That is the type of compression gauge I have and get much better readings on other saws. 150lb on my 036 and 135lb on my 026. I tested it again today and got 110lb. I'm not saying it's a lab grade instrument but I trust it and you can start the saw with a pretty loose grip on the T handle. That's why it suprised me how well the saw cut once it was getting fuel. It might have better readings with fresh fuel and oil in the cylinder and I set it pretty fat on the high side compared to how I would usually do it. I'll just give it back to him and I'm sure he'll be happy.
Thanks, John...

Back