atv logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love our Hondas

Kind of like cars/trucks and saws.... Everyone has brand favorites. Around where I live Honda seems to be the brand of choice.... All my buddies except for one have Hondas, he has a Polaris Sportsman 500.

Here we are at a friend's 200 acre getaway in rural Missouri.
http://icreek.com/ATV_lineup_at_verns_640.jpg

What kind of atv is that and how do you like it?? Looking to add a wheeler to my fleet and wondering what everyone would get.

Last edited:
I've got a Suzuki King Quad and love it...check this out...my son and I explore around Kenora, this is a new road cut.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i264.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid264.photobucket.com/albums/ii168/kenorakq/MOV08940.flv">

Work truk

If you want a work truk Buy a polaris 700, Dont know anything about the 800 But probably the same ole better machine,..T,C, E,J,

If you want a work truk Buy a polaris 700, Dont know anything about the 800 But probably the same ole better machine,..T,C, E,J,

A polaris 700 is a brute, no doubt. But extremely bad fuel comsumption and very hard on starter's, and the reverser gear mech. Not to metion drive belts. the 8hundred, not much better. Now the best in my op. is the newer 500H.O with fuel inj. Feels like the same power as the 700 and get's better economy, not that gas is high priced or anything.LOL Polaris twin cyl's just arent reliable in cold weather(20) and below. Sorry if your affended.

I'll try to get pics up tommorow of my loggong trailer, custom built twin chainsaw mount and snow/brush blade.

dragging logs my style

I live way too frugal to buy an ATV. I use garden tractors. This is my best logging tractor hooked to a log I drug to my milling area.

IMGP04451-2.jpg

IMGP04441-2.jpg

so far I have not needed a trailer, altho I am revamping an old homemade tow dolley, into a lowboy to haul logs.

BTW, the tractor was free.

What kind of atv is that and how do you like it?? Looking to add a wheeler to my fleet and wondering what everyone would get.

for me honda is the best...4 working i mean in the wood ...foreman500 manual shift and thats IMPORTANT...ITS A GREAT MACHINE...good power,good transmition ect ect

Stony, do you have any weight in those wheels? I'm fooling with an 18 hp tractor, have chains, but seems to need more weight, both front and rear. Gonna fill the tires with fluid, and add a front bracket to mount my 85 pound deep-cycle battery on there for my portable winch. Should be enough, but now I don't see any weight on yours and it makes me wonder. I'm big, but not enough to keep the tractor from spinning, even with the chains on it.

I would like to get a log trailer for my wheeler. I pull some logs with it here and there but usually I am having too much fun riding I don't want to be working. I have a Kawasaki Bruteforce 750, pretty sick machine. I have seen those log loader trailers for atvs and I know some people on here have them. I would like to see some pics if possible. Has anyone made one?

Stony, do you have any weight in those wheels? I'm fooling with an 18 hp tractor, have chains, but seems to need more weight, both front and rear. Gonna fill the tires with fluid, and add a front bracket to mount my 85 pound deep-cycle battery on there for my portable winch. Should be enough, but now I don't see any weight on yours and it makes me wonder. I'm big, but not enough to keep the tractor from spinning, even with the chains on it.

no I don't have any weight as of yet. I really need some in the front. The rear of the tractor is very heavy, and even with the cast iron briggs sitting right over the front wheels, its still light up there. It's not my body weight that makes it work either, as I only weigh 170 lbs.

I do plan up putting skid steer tires and washer fluid for weight in the rear tires, but as of yet haven't needed it. Just a planned upgrade.

This tractor has an incredible low range. It pulled and popstarted my old mans 8n the other day. Pulls logs like they aren't even there. If only MTD still made them like this!

some pics

Here's couple of Quad with dual chainsaw mount,reciever basket to hold equipment and one of front showing snow/brush blade mount. Raining right now I'll get one of the blade and loggong trailer later. It's HONDA, 4x4. Made all of it including the heavy duty Reciever hitch.

NO offence

A polaris 700 is a brute, no doubt. But extremely bad fuel comsumption and very hard on starter's, and the reverser gear mech. Not to metion drive belts. the 8hundred, not much better. Now the best in my op. is the newer 500H.O with fuel inj. Feels like the same power as the 700 and get's better economy, not that gas is high priced or anything.LOL Polaris twin cyl's just arent reliable in cold weather(20) and below. Sorry if your affended.

If thats a charicter deffenicey, on the 700 weve not seen it yet, about 5 years now , these mackines work seven days a week on my brothers farm, pulling feeding equipment, and what my dad likes them for is hunting , he engages some slopes that are scarey, the newer ones decend saftley, and handle well for his purposes, But we are certinually not ATV experts, Id like to hear more on the best machines for pulling and steep hill manuverability,.thanks T,C, E,J,

Thanks, I live in Northern Illinois and I have to find a big hole in the ground in order to go downhill. Snow and mud that's all I have to deal with.

If thats a charicter deffenicey, on the 700 weve not seen it yet, about 5 years now , these mackines work seven days a week on my brothers farm, pulling feeding equipment, and what my dad likes them for is hunting , he engages some slopes that are scarey, the newer ones decend saftley, and handle well for his purposes, But we are certinually not ATV experts, Id like to hear more on the best machines for pulling and steep hill manuverability,.thanks T,C, E,J,

Farm use is where I drew ,my conclusion. I pulled a 10' harrow for less then an hour burnt a full tank of fuel, refueled two more times within 3 hrs. everytime I took it out I'd ask do I need to check the oil, the farmer would reply " lord no but check the gas or we'll come looking for ya". I got on it one mourning colder then all get out. turned the key turned over alittle then crack I heard the most he**ashous sound come from the starter area. Shattered starter reverser gear. chipped flywheel. about 250 dollers worth at the shop. But power, boy she did have the power. I watched the owner pull a dead 300 pound sal out a hog birthing pen at 90deg down a hall around another 90 deg turn and out the building in a single go usuing a rope. Go check e-bay those gears are everywhere under polaruis. Now the 425magnum he had would start anytime,anywhere, always.

As an avid quad rider I can tell ya the manuverability comes not in the machine, but the rider. Just whatever you ride, remember one thing. If it's on top of you can you lift it off. Your life could depend on it someday.

Latest posts

Back