ATV winch switch wiring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Dunlap

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The DPDT switch on my ATV winch toasted. Now I'm putting in the new one. I put the wires in the same place on the new as the old but the winch doesn't work.

Can anyone direct me to a wiring schematic?

Thanks,

Tom

Is it an exact replacement switch from the oem,or a generic one?

It doesn't work at all, or just in one direction?

Any fuses blowing?

Last edited by a moderator:
The rocker switch went bad a long time ago so I bought a Radio Shack DPDT spring to center-off switch. There is power coming in.

The winch doesn't work going either way.

I'm going to grab my multi meter and do some checking.

Any ideas of what I should be looking for besides smoke or sparks :)

Tom

1. check rating on the RS switch..it must be rated for the amperage of the winch or more. I don't recall Radio Shack (Canada)carrying a DPDT sw large enough to handle a winch.

2. a generic sw. will be missing the cross jumpers required to give you reverse....but you still should be able to run the motor in one direction.

3. Do you have a fax number...e-mail or pm to me

I was reluctant to put it in those other forums. I need to get this fixed tonight so I'm a bit desperate...

Two wires in and two out. Jumpers across the corner leads on the DPDT.

Tom

Since it was a DPDT, I will assume 3.

One is a hot, and the other two control the direction of the motor.

Asumming that the hot is hot (you said it was), disengage the clutch on the winch, and apply the hot to the other wires, one at a time. The motor should spin (not the drum) with both wires.

If that works, then the motor is fine. Then you have to find which wire is in, and which is out. Then find what is what with your switch using your multimeter.

Then connect the wires.

"Two wires in and two out. Jumpers across the corner leads on the DPDT."

Right so far.... battery leads (fused) to centre terminals.....motor leads to any pair of end terminals....

If it doesn't work, look for bad fuse...broken wires...defective sw.....defective motor.

Most likely the switch doesnt carry the full amps, rather switches the silenoids (spelling is wrong). Fixing it tonight shouldnt be a problem.

This should do ya.

If you have the switch wired right, and it still doesn't work, thr problem is elsewhere.

Watch out for the ampacity of that switch, it's likely too low.

Originally posted by Lumberjack
Most likely the switch doesnt carry the full amps, rather switches the silenoids (spelling is wrong). Fixing it tonight shouldnt be a problem.

Carl, most of those small ATV winches don't have solenoids-
the 2 wires in, and 2 out is tell-tale of that too.

Originally posted by netree
Carl, most of those small ATV winches don't have solenoids-
the 2 wires in, and 2 out is tell-tale of that too.

Oh... I was goin on my knowledge of automotive winches,and some industrial winches.

Carl

Got it!

The wiring is fine in the switch. The wires going into the winch are loose. When I jiggled them everything was wonderful.

This took two hours start to finish. This is a perfect example of how this medium can be used so powerfully.

I can get plowed tomorrow.

Thanks everyone :)

Tom

When I was in high school the administration would solicit slogans for Snow Week. Then they would have a button design contest. Joe Blake was in my drafting class and he came up with a slogan, "Get Plowed, It's Snow Week" and the button showed a snow man driving a big highqy department V-Plow truck with "Get Plowed" on the blade. The snowman was hanging out the window waving...a jug of hooch with x's for eyes. Obviously drunk. Well, of course, that was the one chosen but the button was made without the hooch and X's :)

Ths chains are going on the quad too,

Tom

Originally posted by Lumberjack
Perhaps off topic, or Large Equipment forum would be better?

My first thought too, but then I figured nobody would read it right away.

Maybe I'll move it for archival purposes.

Moral of the story, wiggle all the wire connectors if you thingk you done it up right;)

Back