Auto-Retract, Finally (Part I)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac88

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I mentioned fabbing up an auto-retract mechanism for my 35+ year old splitter some time ago. Even though the cycle time isn't bad, I spend a lot of time manually retracting the ram for the next split. My solution was to add something to automatically retract the ram, and stop it at some preset position depending on the length of the pieces we're splitting (16" for firewood, 12" for kindling), or full retract to park the cylinder. Well, here it is in all it's glory. Not too fancy, but it does exactly what I want it to do.

An old 10 hp Tecumseh supplies power to this Williams power unit. Belt driven, single stage, no detent, no pressure release:

attachment.php

Control lever. Manual advance, spring-loaded center, manual retract:

attachment.php

Here's the moving parts I added. The Actuator Link pivots along with the control lever, and the cap screws lock it to the lever. The Lock Cam engages a fixed Stop (not shown) bolted to the splitter beam. Also not shown is the Guide Bar, a length of 1/2" square tubing, attached to the ram carriage. The Slider rides on the Guide Bar and is secured to it with a thumb screw, to set the split length:

attachment.php

Part II to follow:

Auto-Retract, Finally (Part II)

At cold start the system is in the parked position. The control lever is in neutral:

attachment.php

The control lever is moved to the "Extend" position to extend the ram. Once the ram is extended the Slider is moved to the proper position (marked in red paint) for the desired split length. Time to make the split:

attachment.php

Pulling the lever to full retract drops the Lock Cam behind the Stop, locking the control lever in the retract position. The cylinder retracts:

attachment.php

Here's the full view. The Slider is set to stop at 17":

attachment.php

When the Roller on the Slider contacts the Lock Cam, the lock is released and the control lever returns to neutral (see the first pic above).

Here's the whole set-up:

attachment.php

Ok now it makes sense looks good :msp_thumbsup: Youre a smart feller or ?:laugh:

Nice Job!! I can see how this would work good if the pusher plate in on the Cyl.. I would think that the belt driven pump would be a plus.. Can't rep you again or I would..

I once used an old splitter of my dads that didn't back cycle on its own. After using it like it was for years my nephew came over with a bunch of bungee cords of varying length. Wouldn't ya know, finding one of just the right length was all that I ever needed.

I once used an old splitter of my dads that didn't back cycle on its own. After using it like it was for years my nephew came over with a bunch of bungee cords of varying length. Wouldn't ya know, finding one of just the right length was all that I ever needed.

I thought about several different options, even using a gas cylinder to force the control into retract, then something attached to the ram to overcome the gas cylinder. I don't know of any way to operate the control with a bungee short of running it through a pulley and back to the ram. But, "whatever works" is what it's all about.

What a great idea. You should patent it.

Thanks. But with all the nifty hydraulics on the new splitters there's no need for a gadget like this. It just took care of something we've been dealing with for a long time. Now I can tell it to retract and go after the next round.

At cold start the system is in the parked position. The control lever is in neutral:

attachment.php

The control lever is moved to the "Extend" position to extend the ram. Once the ram is extended the Slider is moved to the proper position (marked in red paint) for the desired split length. Time to make the split:

attachment.php

Pulling the lever to full retract drops the Lock Cam behind the Stop, locking the control lever in the retract position. The cylinder retracts:

attachment.php

Here's the full view. The Slider is set to stop at 17":

attachment.php

When the Roller on the Slider contacts the Lock Cam, the lock is released and the control lever returns to neutral (see the first pic above).

Here's the whole set-up:

attachment.php

Excellent and saved for possible modification on mine.

Harry K

Thanks. But with all the nifty hydraulics on the new splitters there's no need for a gadget like this. It just took care of something we've been dealing with for a long time. Now I can tell it to retract and go after the next round.

I don't know of any splitter out there that can be set to stop retracting at any selected point. I wanted one from the first day I ran mine (troybilt 27 ton).

Harry K

Nice Mac... very nice engineering.

I don't know of any splitter out there that can be set to stop retracting at any selected point.
Sure ya' do Harry, I've posted about mine several times... fully automatic cycle, automatic throttle and easily adjustable ram return length.
  1. Splitting cycle starts with engine at idle, ram retracted, control lever in neutral position
  2. Push control lever into extend position and let go (no need hold lever)
  3. Engine goes to full throttle and ram extends
  4. At full extend the control lever automatically flops into retract position
  5. Ram retracts to preset length (preset via simple thumbscrew and lock collar)
  6. At preset return length the control lever automatically returns to neutral and engine returns to idle
Ram return length can be set as short as 1/4-inch if desired, up to the full 25-inches, and anywhere in between.
Override of "automatic operation" can be manually accomplished be simply moving the control lever into the desired position at any point in the cycle. Anytime the control lever is in neutral the engine is at idle, anytime the control lever is in full extend or retract position the engine is a full throttle. The lever does not need to be placed in full extend position, i.e. placing it half way between neutral and full extend only brings the engine speed up to half throttle, a quarter way is quarter throttle, just bumping the lever forward extends the ram at idle, etc... handy for setting the ram stop lock collar and such.

I don't know of any splitter out there that can be set to stop retracting at any selected point. I wanted one from the first day I ran mine (troybilt 27 ton).

Harry K

there is also the quick and dirty of setting a half round piece of something over the ram shaft. that way when the ram is retracting it hits the stop between the splitter head and cylinder body. this causes the hydraulics to spike in pressure just like when you are bottoming out the ram normally on the return stroke and the control valve pops into neutral. i believe i have read somewhere here they make cylinder shaft doughnuts you can slip on that are made for this. they wont mare up the shaft or mess up the cylinder seal, just take them off when you are done to retract the cylinder all the way so it is not exposed the elements all the time.

i have been thinking of this also since i have the same splitter

Back