automatic chain-sharpening systems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivahrat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
anybody ever see a saw that will automatically sharpen its chain? was looking on the oregon chain web site and saw the chain for for sutch a saw. i went looking for a saw like this and cant find one, and ideas???? :dizzy:

here is the link to the chain 91Lx, at the bottom.

http://www.oregonchain.com/spec.htm#

thats what i was thinking was just wondering what they looked like. the chain looks good. wonder how it cuts, and how it would work on a regular saw

sounds like it was a good idea. one day it may work. id have to get one so i cal play with it. think it would be a cool thing to have

Hi, rivahrat.

I ran across some threads re self sharpening saw systems when I used to dig around in the old posts. Try some searches; I think that you'll find some photos as well.

Couple of problems with the self sharpening systems. First they use relatively expensive special chain which these days are not carried by many dealers. Second, the system only sharpens the top of the cutter which means the cutter sides dull and don't help in clearing material. Also if you don't add in an occasional hand filing of the depth rakers you don't get any bite. In my mind having to finish the job by filing the rakers to get it to cut is not very productive.

this is true. i just want to see what the system looks like on the saw. im good at re inventing stuff and just want something useless to tinker with.

Back