Autumn Blaze Maple issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hattereno

Reaction score
When we built our home, we had 38 Autumn Blaze Maples planted among endless amounts of others.

Issue #1: Last summer, after 2 years, I noticed die off on a half dozen trees only to find a serious problem with scale. I treated ALL of the trees with CoreTech tree and shrub tablets. Then I sprayed the trees down with an insecticide to fight the scale. I had to dramatically cut a couple of the trees because the amount of dead in them was overwhelming.

The scale is back this year, even though the tablets were supposed to work for 2-3 years. I'm worried about the lack of growth. What else can I do to rid the trees of scale? I planned on using a Bayer systemic, but wanted some valid advise.

Issue #2: Of less importance, though it may indicate another dying tree, I have one with the bark separated at the base. There is a black powdery looking residue coming out of the cracks in the bark. I can't find any information on this type of bark disease. Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help!

Number one issue I see with planted trees are that they're in the ground too deep. Check your root collars.

Do you know what type of scale, soft or armored?

Do you recommend spraying the branches or the trunk? The instructions on Safari have both options. Branch application uses 1 tsp/gal while trunk uses 12-24 oz/ gal. This is a huge spread. Thanks for the advise!

Back