AV-56 Stump Bit Grinder Thorvie International

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oly's Stump

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been grinding my own stump teeth using a green wheel the past 19 years and I noticed a post about a commercially made stump tooth sharpener. Its called the AV-56 stump Bit Grinder made in Wisconsin. I went on their web site and got some info on this machine. Very pricey at $1,500.00. Does any one have one or have any knowledge about it and if so do you have any imput ? Thanks Much!

I bought one before switching to green teeth.

I think it's way too over-engineered. The first few times I used it as directed but it took too much time. Then I just handheld the teeth again the wheel. The diamond wheel is worth the money . . . regular wheels - the carbide tips eat up and green wheels - the metal shank eats up, but with the diamond wheel you can sharpen both.

If you have a grinder motor that you can mount the wheel to and you are experienced at hand grinding teeth just buy the wheel.

Thanks much for all the responses. I sent for a catalog and they have a special going on for the AV56. Its $200.00 off now with a sale price of $1,295.00. I believe I will wait on this. I have plenty of green wheels now but when I run out I will either buy the wheel or the whole unit.

Oh, and by the way, maybe it's not such a good idea to sharpen the teeth free-hand.

Here's an "oops", from the other day . . . that diamond wheel is pretty rough and torn right thru my glove.

Latest posts

Back