Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering about Clarence; like you I hadn’t seen anything from him for a while. I was thinking about him because my wife just had a knee replacement two and a half weeks ago. I think multifaceted had one done too a while ago. My wife a doing well; got the staples taken out on Tuesday
Good to hear he is well.

I was wondering about Clarence; like you I hadn’t seen anything from him for a while. I was thinking about him because my wife just had a knee replacement two and a half weeks ago. I think multifaceted had one done too a while ago. My wife a doing well; got the staples taken out on Tuesday
Good to hear he is well.
I try to keep in touch with him, he works a few miles from my house. I took him 6 old ax and maul heads back in October. My wife's birthday is in July, and I made her a promise that I would get rid of 3 things a month till new years. I finished October and couldn't find any thing else to get rid of. Then I saw those heads behind my Cuda. Six of them had me covered for Nov and Dec. My wife has had 6 hip replacement surgeries. When she was 21 she took chemo for Hodgkin's Disease. They gave her high doses of Prednisone also. The Prednisone killed the bone in her hips. She got the first two in 86 and 87. Got 20 years out of them. Had revisions in 06 and 07. Then in 2017 the rod in her left femur started to get loose, so had that replaced. Two months ago she decided she wanted the right femur replaced before it got bad. Doc said good choice, when he took it out it was loose. I had both knees done. I retired Nov 1st 2015 and my left knee done Nov, 3rd. My retirement present to me. Two years later got the right one done. I have little to no pain, but don't have the range of motion I'd like. But, I worked on them for 15 years after I was told I need the surgery. The Doc said up front I might not get full range of motion back because I waited so long. I'm happy with them. Only advice I have is squats are your friend. Every time you brush our teeth, 10 squats, get your socks out of the dresser, 10 squats. You don't have to push till you are going to pass out. Just go deep enough that you feel it, and then a touch more. Every day try to go a little more. It's like compound interest, a little over a long time, makes a big difference. My first knee, they stapled it. My second knee they glued it. First one I was ona walker for several weeks. Second one I was walking with a cane the same day. Two different Doctors, a world of difference.

Lots of stories from lots of people about joint replacements; some go better than others. My wife is getting therapy and hears about different results from replacements by the same doctor. There are more variables than just the doctor. She also has a bad shoulder and using the walker bothers it. She would rather lean on me. That's what we're there for. A cane probably won't work for her either. So she is just getting better quicker out of necessity. That, and she's tuff.

My dad had a knee replaced in his eighties with quick recovery, little pain, little pain killers. He had had trouble with that knee since an injury as a young man on the farm. His father had a hip replacement, also in his eighties, it must have been in the '70s. Years later he said he didn't think he had more movement, but didn't have the pain. He wanted to do the other one when he was about 90 but they wouldn't do it bcause they said his circulation wasn't good enough.

Looking for some thoughts on axe handle length. I was a able to secure a couple of 28" handles from Whiskey River recently thinking I'd use one for my vintage 3.2/ 3.3 lb. single bit plumb axehead. The handle will fit the eye with some minor filing/sanding. I've been reading, however, that some would say that a 3.2 /3.3 lb. head is too large for a 28" handle. The axehead is 6 7/8" long with a 4" single bit. I have a 32" handle on the way too, but am in a quandary as to which size handle would be more appropriate. I know that handle size is often a preference. Just wondering what others here would suggest.

Thank you for all of the helpful replies. Just finished hanging a 2 lb. Norlund on a 22” haft. Screwed up trimming the wedge - the coping saw blade twisted some and the cut was crooked. I ended up cutting it flush with the axe head.View attachment 888377
That thing looks beautiful! Never apologize for cutting the handle flush to the eye. I've never bought into leaving the handle 1\4 inch proud to the eye. American axes were always cut flush. Here's a small Norlund on the original handle. Then my new Plumb display rack with a never used Collins Legitimus in the back, you can read "Genuine Collins Hickory" on the handle, then an American Beauty, Keen Kutter and another Plumb in the front, all cut tight to the eye, and all original handles.
2v0B8BA.jpg

7V0rsax.jpg

No I’ve gotta find a vintage boy’s/camp axe to restore. Looking for one similar to the ones used by the USFS back in the day. No luck thus far.

I hadn't seen Multifaceted post in a while so I gave him a ring. He's doing fine. Got promoted to production manager and is putting in 12-14 hour days, with about an hour commute.
Good deal. Nice work checking in on him. Hopefully he eventually has some time to brew some beer and swing some axes.

Back