Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Multifaceted

Multifaceted

Firewood Hoarder, Axe Enthusiast
Yes I've been thoroughly enjoying reading about, and admiring the work you gents are doing

I would love to see some vintage English axes!

Well , I'm gonna rethink the rehang ,not much room for a good fit .

Eh, you'll get it figured out - we always do!

Multifaceted

Multifaceted

Yup , I'm having an Ironside ale pondering the solution , it's looking like a new haft .

I'm having a pint of homebrew pale ale myself recovering from my earlier efforts. Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why you like keeping the original handles? Maybe I have bad luck, but I've never found one on an old axe worth saving, so I usually just cut them off, drift them out, and hang on a new haft. I can't wait to see that finished!

dancan

dancan

Spruce , The preferred wood of the Purgatory !
. AS Supporting Member.
This one was nice , not beat up , the axe was never sharpened and it was the original .
I've decided to replace it , I have a nice 36" VB Swinger that it's gonna get , I just finished scrapping the varnish off of it , time and weather permitting , rehang it this coming weekend .

dancan

dancan

. AS Supporting Member.
Funny story about that Hults , two years ago we (The wife and I) did one of the local route yearly yardsales and I spotted this axe , 10$ it was but they had some other tools and stuff so I bought the other stuff and said to myself "I've got plenty of Hults Bruks axes ..." so I left it behind .
The very next day , in the back of my mind , I remembered what a friend who's a picker told me a while back "You will always remember the deals you missed forever ."
Dammit , he was right lol
When this September rolled around and that yardsale weekend came I made a beeline to that house to see if it was still there ,,,, WOoT !!! 1o bucks :)

Multifaceted

Multifaceted

dancan

dancan

. AS Supporting Member.
It'll be bigger .
It's kinda like my Black King or this unknown head .

9pCF6rr9SqOHliX5j3wseb8SZ4_FJhM2i2_Y2BjfPoR1S-WbcoV3MgLN8L0qxruVgeJHeMHUwpv7ieGwtFVQFD-RcZJwJ4gvZeHO8nei2Zn1tMIemGFm2Ep5Ouw04SILzT18aQ-W1EJW8cBi7khhc8T-YsDxFiq7eB_Fow_gVtQ1apYQQaHKYQJME4qWwCl8GaG8D3tl2EnXSLdXXuTEpWVRYa5DmP3dLDFv4CXednD8kHTkadHUUjeiG9-Ng8xHnYFiAYWD33zC0hTpfYLkPgB8K8MP7_Bodr_Z9Nk1vHNQloprBHHxm2jusyC3RPNGMsxHnF8jt-c2ZogfbSE9TsVVugm7PtORJzZfBHXDbFSpU1dr1fpAtC-33QbpaMRSjcaF9EzUVu_nIjzj46p2XggyNaWD90xLflruRdJTVWpI0Yi5gtlvXcU1IhuGpP2gvBgnQGIm7ws16f34KgKc8ZSdMM_uhrRm9lXiK0NJ3qBeCh_O89PPWysLD_gHlSZ98FsRGTLto9Gn76cZOLCrHdQ2RzeKVeFmYcLQ7jHvB-whE-D94tQI2SVQQh05DWxUAINf0B-hIyo_UEqy6w5chqNf6IHK-HsWkhT4LErXIeabaY86L2wYlLXZbloz-rxuw9B0lu0l1M6y4QEUhb-gI61aPWPfYRWzJA=w1248-h937-no

dancan

dancan

. AS Supporting Member.
Aw, no shipping to the United States.... what a bummer! That seems like a nice vendor with some cool inventory....

So, that Montreal pattern seems very similar to a Hudson Bay pattern.

I have an account with the Canadian distributor for Hultafors lol

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I'm having a pint of homebrew pale ale myself recovering from my earlier efforts. Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why you like keeping the original handles? Maybe I have bad luck, but I've never found one on an old axe worth saving, so I usually just cut them off, drift them out, and hang on a new haft. I can't wait to see that finished!
I'm gonna have to come up and try some of that Pale Ale, but, just mentioning it, I remembered my daughters boy friend got me a Growler of a Triple IPA for Christmas. Heading for the fridge. I havent posted pics off my computer in a long while, so I don't know if this will work. The American Beauty on the left is pushing 100 years old on the original wood and the Collins next to it still has Genuine Collins Hickory printed on it, Joe.

Latest posts