Back to heating with wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourfivefour

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I gave up using my wood stove about 4 years ago. :confused:
At that time I had gas forced hot air heat installed. Before that I heated exclusively with wood for 10 years prior. Tired of $250. gas bills a month in the winter, I went back to burning wood. Now the gas bill stays under $50. a month. :clap:
I used the extra money to invest in two new Jonsered saws,a CS 2165 and a leftover 2036.:chainsaw:

I was always cold and broke with the gas heat, now it's a toasty 85*......454

Definitely can't beat wood heat!!! When I go to peoples houses that heat with gas it just ain't the same, doesn't seem to radiate like wood heat does.

When we go to visit anyone that doesn't have wood heat my 5 yo twins always want to know "why is it so cold in this house?"

:)

JD

If I got my house that toasty, four, my wife would leave me. She complains when it is 71-72. Know the feeling about your low bills; I only used about 100 gallons of oil for water and heat since May.

Welcome back! Yup, heating with wood is the way to go for sure. I agree with the other comments, heating with gas just feels less comfortable.

When you heat with wood, you get heat from the wood three times: 1) When you harvest it, 2) When you stack it, bring it inside, 3) When you ignite it ;-)

Or something like that :)

Tes

We hosted Thanksgiving dinner at our place for the first time and several people commented on how nice the heat from the woodstove was. Wife likes to make fun of my obsession with not turning on the furnace so I gave her a few nudges when these comments were being made. She also found out that her sister has spent $800 on her first oil fillup this yeear and our bill thus far has been $0.

I always heard the phrase "Wood warms you twice."

Of course, growing up we brought the wood in from the woods, split it and stacked it right in the garage. I'd just move it on my little red wagon into the basement were the stove was.

Now I usually find my self bringing the wood to where I can split it easily, splitting, stacking on the concrete pad in my lower field, putting it in the truck, throwing it on the deck, stacking it on the deck, bringing in a couple days supply at a time since that's all that will fit in my house...I've decided to not track how many times the wood keeps me warm, but I figure it's good for at least taking a month or two off from paying gym dues :)

I get a kick out of how the women entering a house with a wood stove will back right up to it...sometimes when it isn't even lit. My mother would do it every time when it was lit.

Of course SWMBO complains about the mess but that only lasts a few days at teh beginning of the season.

Harry K

i went back to wood this year.got a lot of free wood so instead of burning coal,which is round $150/ton,the wood is free!!

we originally had a Ashley stove here in 74,it had a 31" firebox,burned coal or wood,we just replaced it 3 yrs ago with another Ashley stove.this one is smaller,but does the job just as good as the other one did.the only reason i replaced the other one was we were burning coal,and the grates became obsolete,and i broke 2 of them.sold it ot a friend of mine,and he still uses it to burn wood.

I haven't bought any propane in 2 years now, I shut the the valve off at the tank last Feburary and it is still shut down, I will at some point have to fire the furnace up when it gets 5* and lower with high winds, the little wood stove just can't keep up, but until that day it stays off:)

I consider my OWB one of the bestr purchases I have ever made. During the warmer months I posted paper and internet ads for free firewood wanted and scored at least two or three years worth. Sweat a little and reap the rewards. Right now the house is a toasty 74 indoors and 8 outside....for free..:) :clap:

We were saving up our pennies for a wood stove; now we are hoping for a clearance sale in January/February. We had to have roto rooter & plumber out this week; bill was $1,100 - there goes our wood stove money!

We are still using our fireplace starting it in the early afternoons and burning till bed time. We updated it with a blower a friend gave us this year and have about 2-1/2 to 3 cords of well seasoned wood stacked. We are playing around with ceiling fans/circulating the air to see what is best. So far, so good but we are not totally off the oil heat yet.

I was out plowing the snow on the driveway yesterday and nicked the corner of a face cord - hate when that happens. The stack hasn't fallen yet but it won't take much and it will.

Eight inches of snow is forecast for Tuesday and it was 9 degrees outside this morning. Am I looking at the calendar wrong? Isn't this January weather????

Shari

Forecast for tonight is 10 degrees with wind gusts up to 45mph. Woodstove is still holding it's own. Told wife and kids sweaters and blankets are cheaper than propane and it's supposed to be 50 on Wednesday.

Ahh.....the prodigal son returns! I'm curious why you stopped? I've used electric and gas heat-nothing compares to the deep.... soak you thru to the bone heat of woodstove on a cold day. As a plus, the ambiance of the fire just can't be beat.
I don't know about you guys, but I get a lot of pleasure cutting and hauling a good jag of wood up in the mountains and bringing it home! These days there are so many middlemen takin' a cut of my pay but with the woodstove I can at least give one of 'em the one finger salute-so to speak(yet another satisfying experience). Heck, my wife loves the heat-just like a cat sunning itself :cheers:

I've used electric and gas heat-nothing compares to the deep.... soak you thru to the bone heat of woodstove on a cold day. As a plus, the ambiance of the fire just can't be beat.
I don't know about you guys, but I get a lot of pleasure cutting and hauling a good jag of wood up in the mountains and bringing it home!

Amen! I even lived in one place where we had electric heat in the floor - cables in the concrete.

Yeah, it keeps things uniform, but I'll take the inconsistency of the wood stove over any thing else.

Back