Backdraft Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then it’s definitely a chimney temp issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this stove designed for burning wood and or coal? Most stoves with draft fans were set up for burning coal. No fan should be needed for burning wood.

I think it was listed as a wood/coal furnace. I tried running it with no fan and it burned very poorly.
are you sure your wood is dry? are you keeping it inside before burning? what size pieces are you burning? maybe just turn the fan off at start up, use small pieces of wood and lots of paper and cardboard. not trying to sound like a jerk, but it just seems like some kind of user error. if it is just at start up , or when the fire is really smokey , i guess it could be considered somewhat normal. use smaller pieces when the temp is above 30. but if your wood is wet or damp you are gonna have a tough time.

Also not too much mentioned about building stove is in. Is this a house or shop ? There can be many conditions throwing a negative .. Bathroom fans kitchen range hood dryer fans mid efficent non direct vent appliances gas hwt etc... Is it possible any of these variables have been changed. Opening a window does not ensure a pressurized home either.

You should have a natural draft on chimney based on temperature alone. A building even slightly warmer then outdoor temperatures is all it takes.

Generally a draft can be established before even atempting to light wood.

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

A lot of replys are for stoves, I believe this is a furnace, that could be the reason for draft fans and such. I have no idea how a furnace is supposed to work.

Don’t use the draft fan until fire is warm. You may need to reset your high and low limits on your thermostat.

The wood is dry. We never cut live trees, three months worth is stored inside at a time. The furnace is in the basement of our house. The fan does only has a high limiter so it shuts down when the set ambient temperature is reached. I had to start the fire up again today because it was warm enough yesterday to let it burn out. I kept the fan off until it was going and then I turned it on to bring the fire up. No smoke came in the house. We will see if that solves the issue the next time the weather changes. That could be before the end of today here in Michigan.

Last fall we bought a new Ashley/US Stove forced air wood furnace. Ran beautifully. No issues at all. This year we ran it and it was fine but since the weather's been cooling more it's having issues with what I'd say is backdraft or negative pressure. Generally the night before a rain or snow storm hits. Smoke pours out of every spot it can find even after the flue seems warm. Our house is not airtight by any means. Does anyone have any ideas as to why we would all the sudden have an issue this year even with everything the same as before? The only difference is that our wood is 100% dry this year where last year it occasionally has moisture in the bark from snow. Thanks in advance.
ive noticed n NE Ohio this yr my stove has a harder time lighting, hav 2 keep damper open longer than usally my wood is well seasoned, was told by others they hav same trouble said it because air is heavy due to alot of moisture and wetter than normal .

ive noticed n NE Ohio this yr my stove has a harder time lighting, hav 2 keep damper open longer than usally my wood is well seasoned, was told by others they hav same trouble said it because air is heavy due to alot of moisture and wetter than normal .

Thank you! I was wondering the same thing.

Is it a poor idea to try and light a wad of newspaper in the clean out door of our masonary chimney? It's been two days since we've had a fire, it warmed up here about 80° over the course of five hours and is now raining.

I have a triple wall stainless chimney and when it gets cold it back drafts. I usually throw paper and wood in and open the ash door and wave a flat piece of wood at it causing the heat to go up the chimney and that creates draft. Happens a lot. My house is not tight.

This only happens when I have not been heating for a while and my basement is mostly above ground. My chimney is only 15 feet or so and until its warm the draft sucks. But when it's cold out its cold in my basement like 50 degrees.

Right. It was odd this time because it started to back draft during a burn cycle. It was plenty hot too. I let it go back out for the night if it's clear weather I'll run the sweep down the chimney just to be sure.

No reason it should back draft when hot. I only had that when I first started burning wood and clogged the chimney with creosote. Now its clean all the time because I burn it nice and hot. Still sweep it every year though just for fun lol.

I have a natural draft furnace no draft motor. The idea of burning wood to a specific degree doesn't seem right to me. It needs full combustion to burn clean not starting and stopping to maintain a temp.

Didn’t see if that was asked anywhere but how tall is your chimney and is it straight all the way up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our draft fan only shuts off if the house reaches 73. Which is extremely rare because it's 2000 square feet, ranch style with little insulation and poor windows.

As far as the chimney is concerned the only part that isn't straight is the pipe that runs on an angle into the thimble to the block chimney. Total the stove pipe is 8' from collar to thimble. The block chimney stands 30 blocks high. No sharp angles in the stove pipe.

I got it to take off this morning, I tried burning a newspaper in the clean out door, then lighting the pile if paper, cardboard and small sticks in the back of the firebox. It took off in a hurry.

Back