Backpack Blower

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HittinSteel

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a small city lot with one large maple and a big red oak. My use would be simple yard cleanup (grass clippings), leaves in the fall and cleaning up some of the carnage that comes with heating with wood.

I like the idea of a backpack blower, but do I really need a BR600 ($450 at local dealer, which is tempting)?

Any opinions on the Husky 150BT Refurbs on ebay for $189? What's the deal with the Refurbs?

Thanks

I have a 125bt from Lowes, it does the job, but it makes you desire more. I would look on craigslist and get a real good one for what a refurb one costs.

It's a trade off...... I have survived the last 3 years with the poulan featherlight hunk of crap. It's done the job.

I like the idea of the 50cc because of weight...... $189 with free shipping is dirt cheap though.

It's a trade off...... I have survived the last 3 years with the poulan featherlight hunk of crap. It's done the job.

I like the idea of the 50cc because of weight...... $189 with free shipping is dirt cheap though.

I have found some good shindaiwa blowers used on sale around here that I would like to have, but I am not buying another one till this one gives out.

I have been using a RedMax 7000 for a several years and wouldn't want any less power. I do have a hand held Echo, but it doesn't get used. If the RedMax 8000 would have been out when I bought, I would have got that instead.

When it come to blowers, More power,More power,More power!! Unless you like spending a hour in the hot Sun for a 15 minute job.

I would suck it up and buy a new bp blower and get a local warranty. The BR600 is light and has tons of power. Also very reliable.

The Shindiawa EB802 is very popular around here with the commercial guys. Would definately avoid buying a used commercial use bp blower.

I have a bg55 at home and use a br600 at work. The handheld 55 does a good job for leaves and grass. The br600 is great for large areas and heavy leaves. There are timess I wish I had the 600 at home but not enough to justify the cost difference. I think I got the 55 for $140. The 600 is $400 something.

I have a big redmax 8001. Power o plenty but it is not for the meek and it is cumersome to store. It makes short work of both fall and spring clean ups but it weights 25lbs empty and just drinks fuel. It will strip just about anything out of grass from sand to brinks. Will come in really handy this year after all the plowing. I have a small handheld as well. I use both equally, just for diffrent jobs.

Thanks guys..... I have a thirst for unneeded power LOL, but I'd like to think the 50cc would do what I needed it to. I borrowed a friends BR600 last fall and it was awesome, but only need that much power 4 hours a year.

Also, I live in the land of crazy craigslisters....... people want 80% of retail if it's under 3 years old.

Thanks guys..... I have a thirst for unneeded power LOL, but I'd like to think the 50cc would do what I needed it to. I borrowed a friends BR600 last fall and it was awesome, but only need that much power 4 hours a year.

Also, I live in the land of crazy craigslisters....... people want 80% of retail if it's under 3 years old.

This one is near me. I'm tempted...

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/grd/2211927639.html

Poge

Watch out for the br 600. It is powerful and light for the power and quiet but I have had 2 and both developed the same problem. The vavles got sucked into the valve guide. to fix requires a new head and a lot of labor. I know 2 other people this happened to also. I will never get the br 600 again. I think the 55o is about the same.

If you get a stihl get the 420 magnum. If you can find a good used one with good compression you'll be pretty happy. If you find a nice looking shindiawa eb 630 you'll love it. 62 cc. it really kicks. Buying used you can save money if your smart about it and don't buy junk. I know there is a newer model than the eb 630 but its the one I used and liked.

Watch out for the br 600. It is powerful and light for the power and quiet but I have had 2 and both developed the same problem. The vavles got sucked into the valve guide. to fix requires a new head and a lot of labor. I know 2 other people this happened to also. I will never get the br 600 again. I think the 55o is about the same. /QUOTE]

The BR 600 was known for the exhaust valve failure you mention but there has been a fix in place for that now. Most all new BR 600 should have a sticker MAGNUM on it. If it has this, then it has the newer style valves. There are a couple other changes they made for the better also.
Ever since Stihl made the changes to the valves, I have not seen a failure related to them.

The BR 600 was known for the exhaust valve failure you mention but there has been a fix in place for that now. Most all new BR 600 should have a sticker MAGNUM on it. If it has this, then it has the newer style valves. There are a couple other changes they made for the better also.
Ever since Stihl made the changes to the valves, I have not seen a failure related to them.

Agreed.. although despite the fact they say they have had problems.. out 3 BR600's have not yet had any issues (never know I guess).. hopefully ok. But on other hand.. as we are tree service we use the blowers likely a lot less than some landscape guys. But.. having said that they do get a few hours on each week..

I have a small city lot with one large maple and a big red oak. My use would be simple yard cleanup (grass clippings), leaves in the fall and cleaning up some of the carnage that comes with heating with wood.

I like the idea of a backpack blower, but do I really need a BR600 ($450 at local dealer, which is tempting)?

Any opinions on the Husky 150BT Refurbs on ebay for $189? What's the deal with the Refurbs?

Thanks

Get the BR600 and be happy :)

Seriously I doubt you will have any issues with the Magnum.. in fact we have 3 of the pre-Magnum versions.. and the least used of them likely has 500 hours on it.. and so far no issues on any of them.

I like the idea of a backpack blower, but do I really need a BR600

No, you don't, and neither did I. But now I never have to wonder.

Just buy it, you know you want it. It is an awesome blower. Yes it is twice the cost of the handheld, but it is more than twice the Blower IMHO.

I use mine to make piles of apples under my apple trees.

I forgot to mention that I replaced a 53cc solo blower that is well respected and considered by some to be best in class. The Solo blower replaced an SH85 Stihl handheld. There is no comparison between the three. The Solo was a much more powerful blower than the handheld and the BR600 is in a category of its own.

You can use the BR600 to dethach your lawn, just make sure you wear eye protection. I gathered up all the black walnuts in my backyard, even the ones that had gotten smashed into the ground by the lawnmower tires. It blew them right out of the ground!

If you can't find a Stihl 420 used, I would get the Husqvarna 150BT. It is, by far, the most bang for your buck and is dead reliable. I have the Stihl 420 and luckily found a good deal used. Otherwise, I was going to get the 150BT.

Yes it is twice the cost of the handheld, but it is more than twice the Blower IMHO.

I use mine to make piles of apples under my apple trees.

Twice the blower !!.. it is 4 times the blower of any handheld.. heck it is twice BR420..

Seriously we use it to clean up after tree removals.. leaves, twigs and crap. And it works.. For the really nasty pine needles and stuff we use the power sweep.. but when it can be blown the BR600 will do it.

Actually Shindiawa makes a very nice blower as well.. their top end blower can give the 600 a run for its money.. and likely come out on top. Other than the Shindy.. nothing out there IMHO is as good as the BR600.

Back