Backpack Blower

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watch out for the br 600. It is powerful and light for the power and quiet but I have had 2 and both developed the same problem. The vavles got sucked into the valve guide. to fix requires a new head and a lot of labor. I know 2 other people this happened to also. I will never get the br 600 again. I think the 55o is about the same. /QUOTE]

The BR 600 was known for the exhaust valve failure you mention but there has been a fix in place for that now. Most all new BR 600 should have a sticker MAGNUM on it. If it has this, then it has the newer style valves. There are a couple other changes they made for the better also.
Ever since Stihl made the changes to the valves, I have not seen a failure related to them.

dito...got a detailed explanation from my dealer about all the problems and what stihl did to fix them, my guy is pretty honest about the stuff out there that is having a problem. He satisfied me that the problems are over. Plus, stihl is standing behind all those problems and added a two yr warranty. There were sooo many problems they had no choice but to find a fix, folks were really on their butt.

Watch out for the br 600. It is powerful and light for the power and quiet but I have had 2 and both developed the same problem. The vavles got sucked into the valve guide. to fix requires a new head and a lot of labor. I know 2 other people this happened to also. I will never get the br 600 again. I think the 55o is about the same. /QUOTE]

The BR 600 was known for the exhaust valve failure you mention but there has been a fix in place for that now. Most all new BR 600 should have a sticker MAGNUM on it. If it has this, then it has the newer style valves. There are a couple other changes they made for the better also.
Ever since Stihl made the changes to the valves, I have not seen a failure related to them.

dito...got a detailed explanation from my dealer about all the problems and what stihl did to fix them, my guy is pretty honest about the stuff out there that is having a problem. He satisfied me that the problems are over. Plus, stihl is standing behind all those problems and added a two yr warranty. There were sooo many problems they had no choice but to find a fix, folks were really on their butt.

Thanks for the tips. I buy used blowers from time to time and have passed on every 600 I came across. Now I know I can get the magnum.

I still say get a br 420 magnum used, in good shape, save a bundle and you'll be very happy you did. the 600 is more powerful but I didn't miss it at all when I went back to the 420 and I do some pretty big driveways and have to move a lot of oak leaves. It will even move rocks out of the landscape.

I saw that one too Poge...... but that's a high price. I'll wait on the pictures and maybe shoot him an offer.

Depending on where he got it serviced and if the valve probs described in this thread wouldn't be an issue or have been appropriately addressed, it doesn't sound too bad to me. Where he got it serviced would be key to me. There are a couple of real good service guys around here, but as many hacks with a Stihl sign out front.You know the drill.

Poge

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll probably end up buying something new unless a real good deal pops up on craigslist.

Refurb Husky 150BT for $189 is very tempting or

The Stihl BR600..... twice the blower, way overkill and more than twice the price at $450.

Leaning towards the Husky right now.

Thanks, I saw that this morning...... figured a few hours a week for 3 years could be as much as 700 hrs.

I ordered the refurbed 150BT. I think it will be plenty for my needs.

Latest posts

Back