backup fall protection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey guys, I don't know much about the cammed ascenders but it looks like it's a bit easier to climb than with the traditional body thrusting method. just wondering though, what do you guys use as a backup for fall protection when using ascenders?? I know you can use the Prusik friction hitch above the ascender but are there other options????

When I'm ascending SRT I use a handled ascender attached to my center D rings with a loop runner, a Mini- Traxion attached directly to my center D rings and my Petzl Pantin on my right ankle. The two ascenders back up each other, if one slips I have the other to keep me from descending. The Pantin does not count as a support device.
For shorter ascents I just tie in at the ground with lifeline and friction hitch. I use the Pantin on the tail of my lifeline to assist my ascent and sometimes add the handled ascender.

There are many options for mechanical assist when ascending. Just make sure you have two separate and independant support systems when using mechanical ascenders. I trust my friction hitch by itself, but I want double security when using ascenders.

Hmm. Backup fall protection. I have not thought of that before. I usually fall out two or three times on average before I make it to the first limb. I was using one of them big ole tire tubes but by the time I got it blew up I would be dizzy and fall out a few more times than average. So now I just use a rope and truck to tear off a few of the neighbor’s tree limbs and pile them up under the tree. :D

I think Brian answered your question but you could substitute a Petzl Microcender or Petzl Croll to connect directly to your center dee.

Originally posted by Tim Gardner
I was using one of them big ole tire tubes but by the time I got it blew up I would be dizzy and fall out a few more times than average.

What size tube do you use?

I enter most of the time DdRT on paird petzl ascenders. If it is a real dense twiggy grown, then I will backup with a klemhiest under the ascenders.

A friction hitch above is useless, because it has to be too loose to work if shock loaded.

Klemheist UNDER?

JPS-
If you put the klemheist under the ascender, and the ascender slips, would it not push down the klemheist?

love
nick

Putting some kind of sliding friction hitch above the ascender is probably not the best safety system. In order for the friction hitch to work it has to be tied loose enough to slide up the rope. Then you expect it to be tight enough to grab incase of ascender failure. Not likely!

Better to add a backup attached to your front dee ring. A proper chest ascender with a chest harness would work.

Take a look at the upper right picture on this page:

http://www.missouri.edu/~quinnl/trees/training/tomgallery.html

My current setup has a Rocker instead of the lower Microcender.

I feel that camming ascenders are safer for arbos than toothed ascenders.

If you want my SRT article, write to me off line.

Tom

Latest posts

Back