Bad Accident In California......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw in the news 12 years ago or so someone got pulled into a chipper in Colorado. I didnt get the details but i think it was on old chipper that didn't have safety bars.

I have not done much clipping, but the rule is use a stick, Just like on a table saw.
I wonder what happen to change that safe guard.

I remember using the slow-feed chippers you never use any gloves except cotton ones that rip easily.
Heavy duty leather gloves could get caught on branches and pull you right in. Those things were dangerous, but we had no time to be scared of em.

This recent accident, you can see the chipper has the safety bar that reverses the feed drums. You wonder did he never hit the bar or was it disabled / non functioning.

Attachments

• Screenshots_2022-10-26-21-50-34.png
    Screenshots_2022-10-26-21-50-34.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I have not done much clipping, but the rule is use a stick, Just like on a table saw.
I wonder what happen to change that safe guard.
That's not a rule with commercial chippers.

Also, the safety bar on my bosses chipper does not work. Neither does the seat belt in the truck. What are you gonna do?

That's not a rule. Where did you hear that?

Also, the safety bar on my bosses chipper does not work. Neither does the seat belt in the truck. What are you gonna do?
Force him to fix it before a diasaster occurs. A Chipper that cant stop the infeed wheels is real stupid dangerous and should not be in use.

Force him to fix it before a diasaster occurs. A Chipper that cant stop the infeed wheels is real stupid dangerous and should not be in use.
I should say something about it, definitely. I don't mean to take the focus away from the tragedy of this thread. I simply mean that a lot of people are out there working in dangerous conditions with faulty equipment.

RIP to this guy in California. I can't imagine this happening to a family member, friend or coworker.

A boss who doesn't care about his workers safety enough to get that fixed ASAP doesn't deserve to have workers in my humble opinion.

You often have to listen when people show you who they are, no matter how great their personality or how friendly they are, he is demonstrating that someones safety does not supersede profits.

If he pushes back, I'd find another gig.

Every youtube video, my Father taught safety as common sense & every manual I every read.
I am retired so it easy for me to say, find a job.
I worked for a 49 billion dollar company, that would have fired workers & boss for using that machine, so I may be the stick in the mad. Also we did not use chipper, just fork lift, man lift cherry pickers.
Lock out/tag out was a must or you would be in the street.

My chipper time is limited but I did work as a groundsman for a tree company and all there chippers had safety bars, but they always had a guy standing there with a kill switch at all times when they are feeding the chipper. To get a break from dragging limbs we would take turns manning the stop button.
It's always sad to see someone get hurt or killed.

I think people get complacent in day to day work safety.. Years ago my son 4 years old took our Christmas tree to be chipped/recycled by local water/gas and light here in Albany Ga. It was cold drizzly rain. We were really enjoying watching the wg and l guys in yellow hard hats and full rain suits feeding in the trees. After about 45 minutes 1 man starts crawling with both knees on feeder chute to get branches un hung--Wet rubber on wet smoothe steel floor--What could go Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!--I started hollering at him--you are gonna get killed--kept right on--no body got killed that day--As a old Cat safety film called shake hands with Danger --he was right there close.. My son and I talked about the situation--even at 4 years old he understood that danger. I kept thinking if he gets pulled in this is going to be bad to watch a man get killed. Crazy how far up in he would go feet dangling off edge of chute.

I think people get complacent in day to day work safety.. Years ago my son 4 years old took our Christmas tree to be chipped/recycled by local water/gas and light here in Albany Ga. It was cold drizzly rain. We were really enjoying watching the wg and l guys in yellow hard hats and full rain suits feeding in the trees. After about 45 minutes 1 man starts crawling with both knees on feeder chute to get branches un hung--Wet rubber on wet smoothe steel floor--What could go Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!--I started hollering at him--you are gonna get killed--kept right on--no body got killed that day--As a old Cat safety film called shake hands with Danger --he was right there close.. My son and I talked about the situation--even at 4 years old he understood that danger. I kept thinking if he gets pulled in this is going to be bad to watch a man get killed. Crazy how far up in he would go feet dangling off edge of chute.
It takes a special kind of stupid to crawl in to a running chipper!!!!!!!!!!

Back