Virginia man dies in wood chipper accident

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mets, the most terrifying moment I had in a tree, even more than my accident, was when I looked down and saw a newbie groundie headed towards the chipper with a wad of brush dragging my lifeline with him. I was yelling and hauling rope up as fast as I could, and cleared it about 6 feet from the chipper. I have no doubt it would have been catastrophic, just a question of what would have broken first, my TIP, my rig, who knows. Needless to say, I never worked with him again.
Jeez. I would throw him in for that...

That one still bugs me a bit... are you suggesting we don't investigate accidents to make sure they aren't repeated? Are safety manuals a waste of time? How do you think they were written?
Lets remember what was said........

I wonder how they knew he went in headfirst. Presumably, there wouldn't be enough left to make any guesses.

What I said was..........

Does it matter..... :(

I stand by what I said. I highly doubt the family and community of the deceased is really concerned about what part of the loved one's body was first to enter the chipper. Yes every accident should be a learning experience for all but I cannot see the family wondering about if the person went head first.

Lets remember what was said........

What I said was..........

I stand by what I said. I highly doubt the family and community of the deceased is really concerned about what part of the loved one's body was first to enter the chipper. Yes every accident should be a learning experience for all but I cannot see the family wondering about if the person went head first.
As usual, you miss the point of this forum. Read the intro. The families of the 737 max tragedies don't really care what happened in the cockpit... but I'm still glad they investigated the accident to make sure it didn't happen again. The purpose of this forum is to find out what happened to try and make sure it's not repeated. Do you really think they are arboristsite members?

Mets, the most terrifying moment I had in a tree, even more than my accident, was when I looked down and saw a newbie groundie headed towards the chipper with a wad of brush dragging my lifeline with him. I was yelling and hauling rope up as fast as I could, and cleared it about 6 feet from the chipper. I have no doubt it would have been catastrophic, just a question of what would have broken first, my TIP, my rig, who knows. Needless to say, I never worked with him again.
I had a similar incident once helping out another company last year, rigged a piece down, and had the tail of the bull rope tied to the bucket so I could go hands free to move a block down lower for the next piece, I look down and this guy has a limb in the chipper, with the rope still tied to it
what did he say after I came down and yelled at him? "I assumed (insert name here) untied it since he walked that way"
he almost needed new pants after I showed him the video Mets posted, it wasnt till he saw what actually happens that he knew how bad he F'ed up

Many times I carry my extra rope coiled in a webbing strap on my hip for just such working situations. Or when a lot of cutting is being done at the base of the tree due to large pieces being lowered. A rope bag would be more convenient. My rope, my life.

Many times I carry my extra rope coiled in a webbing strap on my hip for just such working situations. Or when a lot of cutting is being done at the base of the tree due to large pieces being lowered. A rope bag would be more convenient. My rope, my life.
Yep, they call it a lifeline for a reason

You're making my point for me, OT. Education, safety standards, and training. I don't know if you have ever seen Asplundhs orientation video, but it is brutal... and the kids pay attention to the rules after that.
Do they go through the ole cable lifts? They kept bugging me about mine. They wanted it scrapped. They never said much about the chuck and duck chippers though.

...was when I looked down and saw a newbie groundie headed towards the chipper with a wad of brush dragging my lifeline with hi

I had that happen to me, too. Only serious once, but I had a couple of minor rope draggings as well. I didn't sweat the minor cases, 'cause the chipper was too far away.

Unlike yourself, I didn't think of reeling in the rope from my end. I was just kinda paralyzed. Funny how those potential catastrophes play out in your memory. You have such a good view of your impending death when you are looking down on the scene from 40 feet up. I can still see it so clearly...

I have to respectfully disagree. You can have all the safety rules in the world and sometimes you just can't fix stupid. jmho :cool: OT
I once saw a guy feeding limbs while sitting on the infeed opening. I told him how dangerous it was but he knew better. Never saw anything on the news about it so I assumed he was ok.

I cannot see the family wondering about if the person went head first.

We didn't ask them, Bill. And I rather doubt if they care one whit for what we might be saying in some obscure internet forum somewhere.

I'm a good bit more interested in how a guy gets down the throat of a chipper. I want to know what model chipper it was. I want to know whether it was an operator error entirely, or if there were contributing factors. God knows, I hire as many poorly trained people as anyone, and I need to anticipate all the new ways of killing yourself on the job. Because if it can be done, my crew is likely to give it a try.

Don't think I'm not grieving, we lost another brother. Maybe this is just the way I process it, trying to figure out how to keep it from happening again. Maybe tilting at windmills, but maybe we can keep educating and cautioning... I think of Mets, and Zin, and they think they are ten feet tall and bulletproof, but it happens so fast... just be careful yall...

I had a similar incident once helping out another company last year, rigged a piece down, and had the tail of the bull rope tied to the bucket so I could go hands free to move a block down lower for the next piece, I look down and this guy has a limb in the chipper, with the rope still tied to it
what did he say after I came down and yelled at him? "I assumed (insert name here) untied it since he walked that way"
he almost needed new pants after I showed him the video Mets posted, it wasnt till he saw what actually happens that he knew how bad he F'ed up
Had my rope pulled near a chipper once. You get down, pack and leave. We consider ourselves lucky that day.

You're making my point for me, OT. Education, safety standards, and training. I don't know if you have ever seen Asplundhs orientation video, but it is brutal... and the kids pay attention to the rules after that.
"and the kids pay attention to the rules after that." And you also make my point. Some do and some don't. It's the stupid ones that DON"T. I've watched Asplundh workers throwing limbs into the chipper with complete abandon. Not backing away as taught. One at a time. NO! Just keep throwing one right after another before the first has cleared the chute. Forrest Gump summed it up. Mamma told me "Stupid is as stupid does." jmho :cool: OT

Latest posts

Back