Chainsaw kickback and accidents

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top bar chain contact gives linear push away,
and bottom bar chain contact gives pull into bumper spike pivot and lock.
But nose contact gives arc leveraged force, and then into leveraged arc against arm.
>> keep top handle arm LOCKED at elbow
>>if harsh force allow any arc a/n but iron locked arm would steer saw over head if needed.
Most sawyers have right hand grip of left top arm
>>in kickback left jugular is prime target of hungry saw monster
>>left jugular/face is most off hit from kickback
>>from poor attention and unlocked elbow.
Top nose contact is most fierce quarter, most arc travel/longest crack of the whip at yo'face.
Have heard stories of early huge mountain sawyers working alone and these macho brutes all carrying Ladies mirrors and sanitary napkins, to see and blot a neck wound before using mirror as SOS hoping someone would get to them before bleed out.
Kickback is real, ain't never been no game!
From when Flash was still cool (converted).

I'm a lefty. That seems to be safer because the one time (That I can remember at 74) thankfully my left hand and arm was able to keep the bar off of me. As much as I have used saws of various sizes and never had a cut other than nicking a steel toe I'm blessed. I've had some kickbacks that hurt. Once I was bucking a big oak about waist high in the air, in heavy brush. Doing an undercut using the top of the bar to get it going. Long bar 60 cc saw. Knowing a pinch could kick back hard I had the saw placed where I could brace it against my waist line. Sure enough I got a hard kickback. Young strong and lucky, I handled it like riding a Bull. That thing knocked me off my feet right back into a group of Black berry bushes. I managed to Throw the saw away. Another time down low. Top of bar the kickback put a good sized knot on my leg. If my bones hadn't been strong It might have broken my leg. All in all I've been very lucky. I'm a firm believer in safety gear.

had a Dolmar 116si, put my knuckle through the chainbrake guard from a kick back - wake up call. long time ago. IIRC the log I was cuuting did a tension release and migrated towards another log and the saw tip cought that one all in 1/2 blink of an eye.

Latest posts

Back