Virginia man dies in wood chipper accident

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
depends head first or feet first, im betting if you go feet first its gonna hurt for 3 seconds at max
Depends how easily your hips fit through

Could get bound up after having your legs shredded right off of your body.

Then you’ll be in excruciating pain for the 30 seconds to 3-4min or so it will take to bleed out.

Depends how easily your hips fit through

Could get bound up after having your legs shredded right off of your body.

Then you’ll be in excruciating pain for the 30 seconds to 3-4min or so it will take to bleed out.
on a 9" chipper I can see that, but 1, any real chipper pulls in with >3500 pounds of force, and 2, every bone in that area is probably weaker than a branch union
my 12" bandit has a 19" wide feed opening, I have had my entire torso inside the slider box for the top feed wheel while doing maintenance, its amazing how small of a space a human can really fit, especially with hydraulics doing the work

on a 9" chipper I can see that, but 1, any real chipper pulls in with >3500 pounds of force, and 2, every bone in that area is probably weaker than a branch union
my 12" bandit has a 19" wide feed opening, I have had my entire torso inside the slider box for the top feed wheel while doing maintenance, its amazing how small of a space a human can really fit, especially with hydraulics doing the work
Makes me shudder just thinking about it.

This is very sad, what a tragic accident. My prayers go out to the family and friends of the man involved. These accidents are not only heart-wrenching but also serve as a stark reminder of the dangers that can be present in the profession.

I don't consider getting "chipped" to be much of a risk. Pretty horrible, to be certain, but that is a risk I have 100% control over.

My greatest fear around chippers is the threat of an exploding disk or drum. There is so much momentum involved that it would almost certainly escape the sheet metal enclosure and kill or maim any person who happened to be lined up with the flying debris. Even if it was only a knife blade that escaped, they typically puncture the metal enclosure.

When I started working for my Dad in 1972, he had just bought a brand new 16" Asplundh chuck-n-duck. Now, 50 years later, and long retired, I found a Bandit model 65 at an auction for $2000. It has a 6" tall by12" wide feed. I rented a Vermeer 6" and it's feed was 6"X6". The Vermeer would clog and stop feeding with the smallest of side branches. My Model 65 with that 12" wide feed will crush up piles of brush 6' wide and never blink. I have no doubt my 250 pounds would not even slow it down. This is a little toy and it could really ruin your day. I keep pulling the reverse bar showing my wife how it works. When she was using it a limb would hit the bar and start pushing the limb back at her.

Latest posts

Back