Bad chain filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ando81

Ando81

ArboristSite Operative
92ca70386ac00d9ee3849650b98fbeae.jpg

Thoughts on this please people. It’s cutting ok but I think the bar has got a bit of wear. I’m using a 7/32 file but it looks like it is too big to create a hook in the tooth. I’ve got a lot to learn so am happy to hear suggestions.

Dennisthemenace

Dennisthemenace

ArboristSite Operative

Thoughts on this please people. It’s cutting ok but I think the bar has got a bit of wear. I’m using a 7/32 file but it looks like it is too big to create a hook in the tooth. I’ve got a lot to learn so am happy to hear suggestions.
From the photo the bar does appear to need some serious dressing. Depth gauge might need a touch, what's with all that (apparent) shine on top of the Cutter?

Ando81

Ando81

ArboristSite Operative
The bar hasn’t been touched as I only purchased this saw last week and wanted to give it a quick test in some wood. I’ve since taken the rakers down a bit, I don’t know why the tooth is shiny on the top [emoji2369]

J D

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.

Hook could be better, but isn't bad either. Cutter looks like it needs a little more off to get the full chisel point back. You can switch to a size smaller file a few filings down the track to get a bit more hook back.
As said, looks like the raker could be due to come down a little in that pic (a pic showing more than one cutter would help to gauge that).
That bar looks like it's been hot, & there appears to be a line of blue at the base of the groove, I'd be checking the groove is still deep enough for the drive link & isn't splayed or excessively worn

Ando81

Ando81

ArboristSite Operative
Cheers JD, I didn’t blue the bar. I’m guessing that previous owner was really leaning on the saw with the bar up the other way. It seems to be cutting larger chips now instead of fine dust so I must be improving. I’ll try to get better pics tomorrow afternoon.

Vintage Engine Repairs
Cheers JD, I didn’t blue the bar. I’m guessing that previous owner was really leaning on the saw with the bar up the other way. It seems to be cutting larger chips now instead of fine dust so I must be improving. I’ll try to get better pics tomorrow afternoon.
Stihl themselves blued the bar :) it’s part of the hardening process.

J D

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I was referring to what looks like a heat line running along the bar at about the level of the bottom of the groove... Most likely reason the bar is going to get hot there is if the rails have been dressed too low & the drive links are riding on the bottom of the groove

Ando81

Ando81

ArboristSite Operative
I was referring to what looks like a heat line running along the bar at about the level of the bottom of the groove... Most likely reason the bar is going to get hot there is if the rails have been dressed too low & the drive links are riding on the bottom of the groove

I thought that was what you were referring to, I think Gaudaost was making a joke [emoji1787]

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite

take a smaller diameter file and radious the gullet deeper. The vertices near the top of the tooth is too straight up. Curve it.

magreeable

magreeable

ArboristSite Member
I recently purchased an Echo CS-302S. I endeavored to sharpen the chain this morning. Now I'm certainly not an expert, but I've never seen so many odd angles lol. Short teeth, long teeth, and in no kind of order. I'm wondering if the previous owner was an alcoholic or something. I finally got it to cutting somewhat, but I intend to buy a new bar and chain soon for it.

Attachments​

JustPlainJeff

JustPlainJeff

ArboristSite Operative
Shoot, I'm sure I've filed some chains that made the OP's picture look great in comparison. I was pretty much self taught, and I learned from trial and error. I'm sure I completely mangled some chains in my earlier years.

Woodslasher

Woodslasher

Make McCulloch Great Again!
. AS Supporting Member.

@Gaudaost was not making a joke, that is what Stihl's bars look like under the paint. Like you said, you need more hook and you also need to file the teeth back until the dull looking strip is gone. That strip is where the chrome was stripped off of the cutter and the edge was rolled down, until it is gone the cutter will not be truly sharp.

Latest posts