Bad day for my Dolmars...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
Hi fellas.
Travelled 100km (60 odd miles) today with my 5100-S, 7900, and 3120XP to knock over a few trees for a job I'm doing (not urgent - just chipping away at it).
Anyway, 5 minutes in my 5100-S dies with no spark. Saw only 2 months old. Probably had 20 tanks through it at the most.
No big drama, I'll whip out the 7900.
Starts like a swiss watch (as per normal) and away I go. I pull it out of the reasonable sized first cut and the idle won't come down. It starts racing off in a full lean out type scenario. I quickly turn it off and it continues to nastily run on for about 5 seconds getting faster and faster. I honestly thought it was going to explode as the good old electronic rev limiters don't do much in a scenario such as this!
Had to cut the remainder of the relatively small trees up with my 3120XP and 42" bar. After 5 hours I'm a bit stuffed :censored:
Am hoping that some of the more technical guys may be able to offer some help, particularly with the 7900. I've had to turn the idle down continuously over the last few tanks so presume something has been up for a while. This saw has seen quite a bit of hard use since I've had it and has probably had around 200 litres of fuel through it (full synthetic 50:1). The air filter is fine and fuel filter looks OK too. Fuel freshly mixed 98 octane at the right ratios.
I'm no guru when it comes to saw tuning despite being relatively handy with a spanner. Basic maintenance is all I've ever had to do to any chainsaw I've had. I read all the tech related threads on here and to be honest I don't know the first thing about carby rebuilding/impulse lines etc etc. I've got the Dolmar 7900 workshop manual which may help me if needed.
These saws were imported to Australia from the US and we don't have any local Dolmar dealers but there is a very good small engine guy who would have no trouble fixing the saws - I'll just have to get in touch with the supplier in the US to see whether they can help out on the parts (if needed).
As far as the 5100-S and no spark goes any help/tips appreciated - and yes, the sparkplug lead is on and the ignition switch is on and visibly working inside the saw ;)
Thanks for any help as it is greatly appreciated. Sorry about such a long post :cheers:
Matt.
P.S. Then I get a call from an old WWII vet down the road who had a tree fall across his driveway. I cranked the 3120 up to get it into smaller pieces and think I hit about 50 nails in it from every X-Mas light display he must have had since the war. 3 x .404" chains later and the job was complete. There was one positive, he gave me a near new McCulloch Power Mac 310 that he bought new which wouldn't start properly from the get go so he bought a MS-180C instead. I hope I can get it running!

ericjeeper

ericjeeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
sounds like carb issues

Perhaps the diaphragm has a hole in it and allowing the impulse line to suck fuel directly into the engine. Or the needle is stuck
Just my guess.

MCW

Perhaps the diaphragm has a hole in it and allowing the impulse line to suck fuel directly into the engine. Or the needle is stuck
Just my guess.

Thanks for the reply mate. The way it ran on though after the ignition had been turned off indicates to me that it had been running lean and had gotten "hot spots" in the cylinder/head that kept ignition going. I've had it happen in carby cars before when they've overheated. It sounded like it ran on waaaaaay above 13,500rpm before it stopped - luckily without a rod hanging out!
The fact that I have also had to progressively back off the idle screw after the last few tanks may indicate something too. The workshop manual I have isn't really much help. I haven't touched the H/L screws since I bought it, just the idle.

MCW

On the little saw check the simple stuff first, kill switch, grounded/bare wires , plug/plug wire, etc

The 7900 sounds like an air leak developing. Best way to pinpoint is a pressure/vac test. Otherwise check the simple stuff first, loose carb/inlet hose, impulse line

Thanks. I'm gonna pull her down tomorrow and see if I can find anything obvious like you mentioned. I gather if it was a vacuum issue it would be covered by warranty?

Fastcast

Fastcast

Addicted to ArboristSite
On the 5100 my guess is the coil....It appears Dolmar had a bad run of coils from the vender. It's a hit or miss thing. Either you got one or you didn't.

The coil went out on my 401 at about 2 month old. Had it replaced under warranty with an updated one an no problems since.....Good luck!

MCW

5100-S sparking again. Played with a few connections but not sure whether I actually fixed anything or just a coincidence that it now sparks.
No obvious air leaks on the 7900 - carby seemed loose so tightened it up with no improvement. Have noticed, however, fuel leaking out onto bench when saw on its side and its not coming from the fuel cap or around the carby? Will inspect more later or off to Mr Fixit man I suppose.

Fastcast

Fastcast

Addicted to ArboristSite
5100-S sparking again. Played with a few connections but not sure whether I actually fixed anything or just a coincidence that it now sparks.

Yea, but will it start?.....My 401 had some intermittent spark but could never get it running.....New coil fixed her right up!

Edge & Engine

Edge & Engine

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
No obvious air leaks on the 7900 - carby seemed loose so tightened it up with no improvement. Have noticed, however, fuel leaking out onto bench when saw on its side and its not coming from the fuel cap or around the carby? Will inspect more later or off to Mr Fixit man I suppose.

That could be a crack in the fuel line, or at least a leaking fuel line.

MCW

Yea, but will it start?.....My 401 had some intermittent spark but could never get it running.....New coil fixed her right up!

Was going to start it up but near midnight here. Neighbours may get a bit upset even though they're a few hundred metres away! You're right though - could be an intermittent problem :censored:

Taxmantoo

Taxmantoo

Plays with chainsaws
. AS Supporting Member.
You let the saw scream over 13,000 RPM with logs/wood right there where you could bury the bar?

I've got more time to think about it than he did, but if it happens to me I think I'll hit the kill switch, then the choke (even if that means putting the ignition back on), then the chain brake.

Last edited:
CHEVYTOWN13

CHEVYTOWN13

Addicted to ArboristSite
Take the saw apart yourself. It's easy. If you are mechanically inclined, take apart the three anti vibes + the handle bar + 2 screws that hold the carb housing in place and you're golden. You'll possibly be able to pinpoint where it is coming from and save some dollars and time in the process.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that recently I forgot to tighten down the plug and the saw still ran great. It also surged at one point like you speak of and I had to hit the throttle for the revs to drop. Mine did not rev high like yours. But in my case, an air leak in a bad place was the Gremlin.

Last edited:

MCW

You let the saw scream over 13,000 RPM with logs/wood right there where you could bury the bar?

It wasn't quite as easy as it sounded. I pulled the saw out the cut realised something was wrong, and had spun around walking back to the vehicle when I turned it off. By the time I'd even realised it was screaming its tits off and not stopping I was a few meters away from any logs.
Everyone's an Einstein in hindsight...

MCW

Been able to suss them out today Matt ?

Hi Rick.
5100-S sparking again - not sure what was up (maybe faulty coil?) but now running like a clock again.
No luck with the 7900. I'm got an Agronomy conference on this week for work so am getting the better half to drop it off at the local small engine expert while I'm away. Thanks for the workshop manual - I'll send a copy with the saw. Will let you know when I get it sorted out as I need it for a paid tree job in 2 weeks and don't want to run out of time if I need to get parts - otherwise I'd try once again to find the fault. I suppose I can use the 3120 again but a bit of overkill and tiring :)
Matt.

MCW

Old thread but just thought I'd let people know what was up with my 7900. Local Husky guy has had it for a while now but been too busy to take a look. I didn't take it to the local small engine "expert". Luckily I heard a few bad things about him the same day I was going to drop it in, good with outboard motors and lawnmowers, hopeless with saws :)
Problem was a "blown base gasket". Dealer wasn't exactly sure whether that is the cylinder gasket (965 531 121) or crankcase gasket (038 111 042) as the tech guy had gone home for the weekend. Apparently a couple of screws/bolts had loosened off and popped the gasket out the side - therefore a major vaccum leak. 7900 was a September '06 model. Anyone with a 7900 of that vintage probably should check all their bolts and screws just to be sure.
New part ordered and will be fixed early next week.
Although the 3120 was fun to begin with I'm sick of using it for medium sized trees and look forward to the 7900's return.
5100-S has been running like a clock ever since and hasn't skipped a beat. I think it was just very badly flooded and I didn't dry the plug out enough when looking for a spark, so no faulty coil.

Last edited:

Latest posts