bad idea to install dump box on pick up ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could try a dump insert. If you really hunt around you could get a used one for 1500.00. They typically come with a 5 ton hoist.

This setup will make the big boys laugh and cry at the same time; laugh as you pull up to the job and then cry when they see realize how low your overhead is.

D Mc[/QUOTE The main issue is not with the ability to dump the load. The reason we use a chipper is because hauling is not cost effective. If you do the math it is plain to see that your 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton is going to make 3 times more trips to the dump site than a 1 ton with overloads. That translates into man hours spent driving, increased fuel cost, much greater wear and tear on the vehicle and less time on the job cutting. You would easily recapture the cost of a cheap 1 ton and a plywood dump box in 6 months working only part time. Anything else is a waste of money.

yeah, but one tons cost more to work on cuz of there size, any mechanic will tell you that. and your over head is higher cuz of whats stated above. go big or go home, unless your a weekend warrior joke.

yeah, but one tons cost more to work on cuz of there size, any mechanic will tell you that. and your over head is higher cuz of whats stated above. go big or go home, unless your a weekend warrior joke.

I don't think weekend warrior would be accurate in my case but if it makes you feel bigger to say that go ahead. I bought a brand new Bandit 990 Xp fully loaded on Friday to add to my fleet of gear. That will look nice behind the new GMC articulating bucket truck I added last fall. And the fact that my company does this type of thing 6 days a week might suggest that I may know how to work the numbers on cost. I don't know how a 350 Chev would cost more than a ford 150 to work on. The Chev would take way more abuse and cost less in the end. The Ford 150 would be way less fuel efficient because of work load. Lets not mention the fact that if you dangled a 12" Bandit behind a 150 the hitch would be dragging. If you filled the box with chips the tires would be smoking in the wheel wells. Been there done that. The ideal would be a 5 ton for hauling chips and chipper but it sounds like its out of the fellas league right now. My one ton dose work fairly well if you can leave the chipper behind to make a trip or two. But struggles if you try too haul chips and chipper particularly up a hill. The 5 ton is much better for that.

Latest posts

Back