40 year old Homelite EZ automatic went erratic.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Points/Condenser still 3 days out. for the EZ automatic.

In meantime:

The throttle carb linkage is very hard to get a connect underneath when re-installing the carb on this saw. A real PITA.
When removing the carb, the carb has to be tilted just right CCW to get a throttle linkage disconnect.(and it don't come loose easily)
Cannot really see the linkage connect hole under the carb unless using a little mirror and a flashlight and the jet adjust just started into the grommets and the carb twisted full ccw with saw's bar being held in a vice. (need 4 hands)

Anyone have any tips for such on these type saws to make the carb little easier to get the throttle linkage re-installed? (so as to reduce the PITA)
Like slight bend adjust or slight enlarge to the carb connect hole????

Points/Condenser still 3 days out. for the EZ automatic.

In meantime:

The throttle carb linkage is very hard to get a connect underneath when re-installing the carb on this saw. A real PITA.
When removing the carb, the carb has to be tilted just right CCW to get a throttle linkage disconnect.(and it don't come loose easily)
Cannot really see the linkage connect hole under the carb unless using a little mirror and a flashlight and the jet adjust just started into the grommets and the carb twisted full ccw with saw's bar being held in a vice. (need 4 hands)

Anyone have any tips for such on these type saws to make the carb little easier to get the throttle linkage re-installed? (so as to reduce the PITA)
Like slight bend adjust or slight enlarge to the carb connect hole????
Let it be, if you bend the linkage or enlarge the hole to make installation easier, the throttle butterfly may not open all the way, causing a loss in performance. Lots of old saws are a pain when it comes to removing/installing the carb/linkages.

Let it be, if you bend the linkage or enlarge the hole to make installation easier, the throttle butterfly may not open all the way, causing a loss in performance. Lots of old saws are a pain when it comes to removing/installing the carb/linkages.

That be the truth right there! I've had the carb off and on a EZ about 42 times, and its been a pain EVERY TIME!

Cliff

That be the truth right there! I've had the carb off and on a EZ about 42 times, and its been a pain EVERY TIME!

Cliff

Good to know that they are a pain to others as well.
Just thought maybe someone got tired and made a slight mod to the carb or linkage.
I can leave the H,L rubber grommet out of the air box and get little bit more left tilt to the carb and get a easier linkage connect but then the grommet won't go back into the air box with the jets sticking thru and out the side of the air box and completely removing the jets until the carb is installed is not a option due to trash, etc, when re-installing.

I can live with it. Only had the carb off one time in 40 years until recently.
When the carb goes back on this time, if it will last another 40 years the saw will last longer than me and I will never have to remove it again.;):chainsaw:

Thanks
I'll report back when I get the new points/condenser installed and the carb back on again. .

The NEW points and Condenser made it run like a scalded cat.
When I removed the wico plastic points box to replace the points/condenser the lower felt was bad and was letting oil and trash into the points area. The new Homelite/Textron points had a new felt washer for such. I gauged the magneto coil air gap at .010 before loosening the coil so as I could re-install with the same gap. I fought re-installing the carb for awhile and finally took time out and did a little modification that really worked more user friendly for getting the throttle linkage re-hooked onto the carb underneath.
I mic'ed the linkage wire at .093 and took a 3/32 (.094) drill bit in a bat drill and held the bit at a 45 degree angle (same angle direction that carb has to be tilted and the linkage wire rotated to get a connect) and deburred the carb link hole edges in same angle direction that the throttle wire needs to connect and then took a tag wire tie and tied the CARB throttle wide open, then with a little mirror I could see when the throttle wire and hole were aligned for a connect. Tying the throttle wide open allows for better viewing of the area of alignment connect. After carb is bolted down just cut the tag wire and remove.
The small mod Sure relieves lots of chewing on the tongue and needing 4 hands and holding a flashlight in the mouth all at same time.

Thanks all for the tips.

Latest posts

Back