Bad News: Broke the maul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruzer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Good News: Broke the maul.

Well was messing around while heating the grill up to cook dinner and decided to take a few swings at some oak I got this weekend...took about dozen swings and all the sudden i noticed the bottom 1/3 of the maul was missing :bang: :bang: Well that just means i will have to get one of these

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12265

Or one of these

http://www.mckinneyhonda.com/chain-saws-n-power-equip_stihl_pa80.html

So which do you guys like?

Had a chance to try the Stihl but didn't take it...was going to take a few swings with it when i went back to pick up more wood but now i need it to split the rest of my wood....

Kinda leaning towards the first one...both are about the same $$

Stew

I'd rather get a real splitting axe than maul.... seriously, i cant even hit a wood with maul becouse of those frigging straight handles and they dont even split wood that well... Just take a look at fiskars splitting axe before you do anything unreversable...

i told ya to take a swing dammit!

Good News: Broke the maul.

Well was messing around while heating the grill up to cook dinner and decided to take a few swings at some oak I got this weekend...took about dozen swings and all the sudden i noticed the bottom 1/3 of the maul was missing :bang: :bang: Well that just means i will have to get one of these

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12265

Or one of these

http://www.mckinneyhonda.com/chain-saws-n-power-equip_stihl_pa80.html

So which do you guys like?

Had a chance to try the Stihl but didn't take it...was going to take a few swings with it when i went back to pick up more wood but now i need it to split the rest of my wood....

Kinda leaning towards the first one...both are about the same $$

Stew

worst thing that would have happened i would have had to go to the dealer:eek: and get another piece of hickory.

hell,it may have even fixed the economy.

no pics of the wood?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

yeah yeah yeah yeah... didn't want to tempt myself to much... then i would of HAD to break the 30year old hardware story maul to get a nice one...

Can i drive the tractor next time too?:rock: :rock: I promise not to have to much fun.

and YES i did break up at least 2 pieces of wood before it broke the maul...hmm maybe i should hold off on any more of that oak till i figure out how to split it:)...oh i know i will use the husky 55 splitter:)

coffiels? - they close at 5:30 will be their this afternoon:) Maybe I'll stop by and pickup some more rounds.

Stew
worst thing that would have happened i would have had to go to the dealer:eek: and get another piece of hickory.

hell,it may have even fixed the economy.

no pics of the wood?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:
Yeah i looked at those this weekend when i was at the hardware store... no freakin way. I would rather use a wedge and sledge than pick that thing up all day.

Stew
They come in different sizes, from 8 to 14.5 pounds!
In side by side tests with a conventional wedge they do work better, and the heavy ones are harder to swing but they will split the wood in less swings, plus they don't get stuck in the wood, so they are easier than you think to use.
Our local farm supply store had knock offs for under $20.
After a while, my handle broke, so I reinforced it and welded it back up, now it's even heavier!:laugh:

I dunno they hardware store had one...12lbs... The particular thread that i have read on here were somebody did a direct comparison said the monster maul came out ahead BUT the helko was a very close second....

Stew

They come in different sizes, from 8 to 14.5 pounds!
In side by side tests with a conventional wedge they do work better, and the heavy ones are harder to swing but they will split the wood in less swings, plus they don't get stuck in the wood, so they are easier than you think to use.
Our local farm supply store had knock offs for under $20.
After a while, my handle broke, so I reinforced it and welded it back up, now it's even heavier!:laugh:

The original "monster maul ",made by Sotz tipped the scale at 18 pounds.I don't think it would be humanly possible to ruin it.It was nearly impossible to swing it.

I would take a wild guess that the damaged maul ,the subject of this thread,was possibley a high quality imported tool made of recycled files,50 year old beer cans,and remelted chevy engine blocks.

Nope-

Collins Axe- Made in USA, about 25-30 years old, Dad got it from the local hardware store back in the day... they sell the same brand today at the local hardware store...not sure on the quality though.

Maybe i should buy both and compare them head to head:)

Stew

I would take a wild guess that the damaged maul ,the subject of this thread,was possibley a high quality imported tool made of recycled files,50 year old beer cans,and remelted chevy engine blocks.

I have an 8 pounder made by Ames,I think.I actually don't use a maul that often.I have a 5 pound splitting axe that is over 100 years old and about a dozen steel wedges for the tough stuff.Over the years I've became somewhat of an expert at changing sledge hammer and axe handles .Lots of practice.

As it is I have somewhere in the area of 12 to 15 cords of tough old pin oak on the ground,as I type.With that in mind I feel the need to finish the hydraulic splitter that I've been procrastinating with for 20 years.

White oak and red oak split fairly easy,pin oak does not.

Back