Bad Prune Job....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pakrat

Reaction score
I have a tree that received a bad prune job from the power company a few years ago. This particular Maple (Norway, I believe) had an 8" limb cut off at the main trunk; about 5' off the ground. The cut was not correct and has subsequently rotted off and out and has left a cavity. Of course it is half full of water and rotten wood. What should I do? Leave it alone? Clean it out? Drain it? Fill it with something? After reading some threads here on the site; sounds like I should cover it to make sure no more water gets in but is able to breath and just leave it alone...... Advice please.

Pat

Don't forget it will be "bad pruned" on a 5 year cycle. Norway maple is a poor choice of tree under power lines. The upper limbs will sun scald and rot too every time they remove part of the outer canopy.

I would start thinking removal and types of replacement trees......

Here are a few pics.....

There is not as much water in it now.
Pat

Attachments

• tree4.jpg
    tree4.jpg
    964 KB · Views: 31
  • tree3.jpg
    tree3.jpg
    825.6 KB · Views: 29
  • tree2.jpg
    tree2.jpg
    887.7 KB · Views: 31
  • tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    755.3 KB · Views: 34
Best to just leave alone.
Short story, when I'm walking around the yard with the homeowner. I'll find a cavity like yours & stick my hand/arm into the hole. Then I pretend something vicious is attacking me from within the tree. Watching their faces is priceless, it's a good ice breaker. :)

old_soul; I backed up a little further for these pics :D Hope these help, if I need to take more just let me know........

Attachments

• tree6.jpg
    tree6.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • tree5.jpg
    tree5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Plenty woundwood aka scar tissue. Might be stronger than it was without the 'defect'.
You can let it be, but a fern might look good in there.

Crown looks ok; could benefit from light pruning to balance. O and thinking removal would be silly, but you knew that.

Back