Bad start to the wooding season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorta wet, sorta cold but figured I would get a start. Needed to empty the PU of the wood I used for weight, restack a batch of stuff that fell over during the winter and other thingies.

10am - move two cartloads of wood from woodshed to porch - no problems.
11am - (after coffee break to recover from that strenous project) Move and restack two cartloads of the stuff that fell over and get the big rounds that were supposed to hold up the ends of stack.
11:15 - Cofee break to recover from that strenous work.
11:30 - Locate rider tractor key so can use the small trailer to unload PU (too wet to move pu over to the pile). Flat front tire. Hmmm...cap over the axle so it obviously pulls off, will be cotter key, castle nut and washer. d
12:00 - coffee break to recover from 30 minutes of looking for the water pump pliers - finally use vice grip only to find the cap is a flexible plastic and all I get is turn and slip. Look in manual: "Step one - remove cap"...THAT'S IT!???
12:30 - Off to John Deere for a quick demo on how to pry it off plus loan of tool for it. No cotter key or castle nut, just a snapring and washer. Comes off easily and, for a change, I don't loose the snap ring. Spotted the water pump pliars on the porch right where I put them last week :angry:
2 pm - finally back from town, tube in tire, tire on tractor, tool returned to JD. Wood still on PU,
2:05 pm - quit for the day and apologize to wife for leaving the TV too loud for two hours. She is disabled and can't operate the remote.

At least that killed what would have been a boring day vegging out in front of the TV :msp_smile:

The whole day reminded my of Patrick F. McManus's story "sequences" where he proved you shouldn't try to do anything, jsut go fishing.

Harry K

The whole day reminded my of Patrick F. McManus's story "sequences" where he proved you shouldn't try to do anything, jsut go fishing.

That was absolutely one of Pat Mc's best ever.

It was so, so funny but rang so true. An absolute piece of genius.

As to your situation, you showed good sense in making sure the proper coffee break etiquette was observed, did not rush into anything, and used "the modified stay in place running panic."

Take Care

Last edited:
That was absolutely one of Pat Mc's best ever.

It was so, so funny but rang so true. An absolute piece of genius.

As to your situation, you showed good sense in making sure the proper coffee break etiquette was observed, did not rush into anything, and used "the modified stay in place running panic."

Take Care

I have every one of his collections up to "The Bear in the Attic". Gotta get into the 'net and order up the ones I missed. When I first read them I was gasping with laughing still do get a chuckle re-reading them. Jusst shipped most of the collection off to BIL in Canada, to be returned on penalty of death!

Harry K

Latest posts

Back