Baileys big bore kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 53634

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been searching and have not located the answers to two these two questions

What should the ring groove space mesurement be? I expect it to be shipped ready to go but would like to confirm.

Dolmars with 1 ring, does it matter where you put the groove?

I really want to make this saw a light powerhouse. Thanks!

Good fun!
lets see if I can add the picture right this time. Just something to look at.

View attachment 220924

Still havent got the add a picture right. Maybe I will try the link next time. This is my guy prepping this tree for the chipper. Sliced it like a pickle and shoved it right in.

Last edited:
I have been searching and have not located the answers to two these two questions

What should the ring groove space be at?

I really want to make this saw a light powerhouse.

Good fun!

View attachment 220924

If you are asking about the pin that keeps the ring from spinning, it should face the intake opening.

I think his question will be answered when he finds the piston has a ring locating pin.
and hope he puts the ring in correct side up.

Im asking about the opening of the ring, point it at the side, (my guess). Thanks

There is a pin in the piston ring groove that keeps the ring from rotating. The ring can not rotate or you would eventually catch the end of the ring in a port and shell the engine. If you look at your piston there should be an arrow on the top. This arrow should point to the exhaust port when your assembling it. The pin in the piston ring groove is on the intake side. When you install your ring on the piston make sure you don't install it upside down. The cutouts on the end of the ring for the pin is offset because the pin is not in the center of the groove.

There is a pin in the piston ring groove that keeps the ring from rotating. The ring can not rotate or you would eventually catch the end of the ring in a port and shell the engine. If you look at your piston there should be an arrow on the top. This arrow should point to the exhaust port when your assembling it. The pin in the piston ring groove is on the intake side. When you install your ring on the piston make sure you don't install it upside down. The cutouts on the end of the ring for the pin is offset because the pin is not in the center of the groove.

Good info. Hopes the OP finds it useful. However on some older saws I have seen pistons w/o the ring pin. Specifically some Poulan S25DA's. On those I orient the rings accordingly. Haven't used the saws enough to see if there is an issue with the rings rotating.
Bob

I see

Bingo! I guess this is why I havent seen anything about positioning it. Thanks!

Measurement not necessary as well maybe?

Old car guy...never had only 1 ring on a piston.

Bingo! I guess this is why I havent seen anything about positioning it. Thanks!

Measurement not necessary as well maybe?

Old car guy...never had only 1 ring on a piston.

I've never had a problem with ring end gap, but it doesn't hurt to check.

What should the ring groove space mesurement be? I expect it to be shipped ready to go but would like to confirm.

I really want to make this saw a light powerhouse. Thanks!

Good fun!

View attachment 220924

Still havent got the add a picture right. Maybe I will try the link next time. This is my guy prepping this tree for the chipper. Sliced it like a pickle and shoved it right in.

Here's your pic....
220924d1328012183-photo069-jpg

Lets try another picture

attachment.php

Got it, thanks for the link in your signature for the how to.

Here is what I think it the ugliest tree I have shoved in my chipper.

Latest posts

Back