ban on selling owb's in ohio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poston5

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have heard from 2 different people that heard from 2 different hardy dealers that sometime in may of this year will be the last time you can buy a non epa outdoor wood boiler. Since this is coming from the dealers I assume its right. Can someone give me some info. Is this just a state of Ohio ban or what?

Why would you not want a newer EPA unit anyways. . There's tons of advantages aside from less smoke ..Hardy boilers eat wood worse than about any wood boiler out there

Why would I ever want to own a epa unit that takes small wood and nearly kiln dried wood? Does anybody have info that follows the topic? Keep the tree hugger comments to a minimum please, just looking for some info.

Why would I ever want to own a epa unit that takes small wood and nearly kiln dried wood? Does anybody have info that follows the topic? Keep the tree hugger comments to a minimum please, just looking for some info.

You could probably search for the info you are looking

Keep the tree hugger comments to a minimum please, just looking for some info.
Dood! Tree hugger, really?! Look at the guys sig line, anybody that owns 3 wood burners and at least 3 chainsaws can hardly be a tree hugger! (unless you count gathering large firewood as "tree hugging" :laugh:)
I agree, should be able to google that info if it is true. It'd be the first I heard of it if it's true. Sounds to me like dealer #1 talked to dealer #2 and now they both spreadin rumors. Wouldn't surprise me, I know CB has been using fear tactics to drum up business...'course, if EPA is gunning for the old school OWBs then a ban will probably be true sooner or later.

Sounds like a dink.

Dood! Tree hugger, really?! Look at the guys sig line, anybody that owns 3 wood burners and at least 3 chainsaws can hardly be a tree hugger! (unless you count gathering large firewood as "tree hugging" :laugh:)
I agree, should be able to google that info if it is true. It'd be the first I heard of it if it's true. Sounds to me like dealer #1 talked to dealer #2 and now they both spreadin rumors. Wouldn't surprise me, I know CB has been using fear tactics to drum up business...'course, if EPA is gunning for the old school OWBs then a ban will probably be true sooner or later.
Yeah I looked around before I posted and couldn't find much that amounted to anything. The 2 guys that mentioned it already own Hardy's so it seemed weird. I will call up my dealer and see what he says about it, i just wanted some info before I did so.

Sorry to come off the wrong way . I don't have relevant news on your concern. . However I would say it is likely going to happen soon . This has been coming down the pike for about 6 years now . The good news is if your dead set on not buying a improved EPA unit you can still own and use a smoke dragon and there's still plenty out there but If your planning to buy a new unit you should do so soon . I burn 100% wood with no backup , archery hunt deer own a 3/4 ton pickup atvs and work with steel I own everything carhart has ever made and drink my coffee black . That's a redneck * not a tree hugger . I think in a lot cases We would not have the regulations if outdoor wood boiler guys burned more responsibly and started using the energy efficient models instead of cramming two wheel barrows full of green stumps to make a campfire inside a tub of water . That may sound crass but it's been my experience that a lot of the smoking out the neighborhood is from boilers with a short stack burning junk and green wood . I just don't like the idea of losing my burning rights to those who are being foolish about burning in an owb and the left is always looking for an excuse to pass a law

Sorry to come off the wrong way . I don't have relevant news on your concern. . However I would say it is likely going to happen soon . This has been coming down the pike for about 6 years now . The good news is if your dead set on not buying a improved EPA unit you can still own and use a smoke dragon and there's still plenty out there but If your planning to buy a new unit you should do so soon . I burn 100% wood with no backup , archery hunt deer own a 3/4 ton pickup atvs and work with steel I own everything carhart has ever made and drink my coffee black . That's a redneck * not a tree hugger . I think in a lot cases We would not have the regulations if outdoor wood boiler guys burned more responsibly and started using the energy efficient models instead of cramming two wheel barrows full of green stumps to make a campfire inside a tub of water . That may sound crass but it's been my experience that a lot of the smoking out the neighborhood is from boilers with a short stack burning junk and green wood . I just don't like the idea of losing my burning rights to those who are being foolish about burning in an owb and the left is always looking for an excuse to pass a law

This is exactly right. A select few drag the rest of us with them.

But then again that is America for you. A couple idiots in charge can drag down an entire country by doing whatever they choose.

I agree with getting rid of non efficient OWB. Perfect example. my neighbor who is a half mile away just moved in and installed one. Directly behind his house. Everytime you drive past. Just smoldering wet wood smoke rolling from the stack. Which is only 2 feet tall. Always covering his neighbors house.

No wood piles, no split wood, no trucks or trailers ever with wood on them. Not a stick anywhere to dry. He just has a ol dump truck he goes and cuts fresh logs. Dumps them off and tosses them in. He doesn't even burn constantly. He still hasn't went through s couple cords this year.

While when you drive past our place. No smoke. Clean chimney from 2 stories up. No smoke thanks to a good stove. 10 cords stacked nice to dry for a couple years. Even though I have only one house within a 1/4 mile of me.

Some people take pride in what they do and it shows. Those same people usually have some respect for people as well as the world around them.
Some people just want to say "yea I burn wood" and that I will just never understand.

There has been lots of discussion on this topic all throughout this site. Spend some time searching and you will find lots of information. I am all for personal choice and choose to get an epa OWB and I can tell you this idea of small kiln dry wood is just Bologna - at least for the P&M Opt 250. I only burn junk wood from my wood selling operation. That means uglies of all shapes and sizes, big nasty knots, partial rotten, pine, big gum pieces I would rather not split etc. Does the unit prefer wood around 20% and under? You bet. But why wouldn't I want to burn dry wood to begin with? Water doesn't make a good fuel.

What he ^^^ said

"Water doesn't make a good fuel. "

People who burn green wood and smoke out the neighborhood make all of us burners look bad (fireplace/heater/stove/furnace/OWB, doesn't matter) and gives ammo to the wood heat restricters and banners folks.

Plus, you don't get what you want as much, which is *heat*.

I am as green as it gets, and I like burning wood, but I burn dry wood, it is the logical plus responsible thing to do.

I have an older CB OWB with no fan. It's the way it came and has worked fine now for over 10 years. Mine does smoke quite a bit on ramp up and have my temp range at 178 - 185. My wood is stored indoors after it is cut and usually has a minimum 5 years dry time. This year is different as I was cleaning my woods here at the house and put in standing dead ash. It has been dead at least 2 years. My home is on 100 acres so neighbors are that close and they have no problem as most of them burn/have burned. My boiler is inside a building and wood is in there with it so wood is always out of the weather. I'm going to buy a moisture meter shortly but here is what I have found.

My wood, even though it has been inside, under roof, on concrete, still sometimes sizzles. I get creosote like tar building up inside and on the outer edge of my flue where the warm air meets the cold. I notice more smoke, creosote when the air is filled with moisture and I think that is something that guys with indoor stoves do not have to contend with. Their incoming air is "dried" or less moisture ridden than what an outdoor stove deals with. Worst is in the springtime when snow is melting and air is really wet. The choking of a boiler is a big factor too but it's a catch 22 as I like the aspect of once a day loading as I do not have to be here to keep an even temp in the house and such. Not trying to start a shouting match here, just relaying what I have found over the years.

What I found interesting this year was the ash I'm burning now, with less dry time seems to smoke less on start up than the 8 year dry I have in the building there too. 8 year wood is mainly mulberry, hackberry, cherry and hard maple. Smaller sticks seem to smoke more than large splits as well. I know my stove is not the most efficient or clean burning but it has done what I wanted. I totally am against those who burn wet wood and do NOT agree with that. It's just that some of you might drive by at a certain time and think I was burning wet stuff when I am not. I do everything I can short of buying another stove to do it right. I see all the time people using snow covered wood or wood out in the weather and from my experience woods moisture level goes up and down from atmospheric conditions. I DO know for a fact that kiln dry lumber Moisture content RISES after is is brought in to normal elements.

Again, lets have a discussion here and not finger pointing as I'm interested in what others have found over the years.

What I was told a while back ago was that that any OWB that dealers have stock on will be able to sell but any new one built for may of 2015 have to be epa aprroved and that will apply for the companies that make them also.

I have an older CB OWB with no fan. It's the way it came and has worked fine now for over 10 years. Mine does smoke quite a bit on ramp up and have my temp range at 178 - 185. My wood is stored indoors after it is cut and usually has a minimum 5 years dry time. This year is different as I was cleaning my woods here at the house and put in standing dead ash. It has been dead at least 2 years. My home is on 100 acres so neighbors are that close and they have no problem as most of them burn/have burned. My boiler is inside a building and wood is in there with it so wood is always out of the weather. I'm going to buy a moisture meter shortly but here is what I have found.

My wood, even though it has been inside, under roof, on concrete, still sometimes sizzles. I get creosote like tar building up inside and on the outer edge of my flue where the warm air meets the cold. I notice more smoke, creosote when the air is filled with moisture and I think that is something that guys with indoor stoves do not have to contend with. Their incoming air is "dried" or less moisture ridden than what an outdoor stove deals with. Worst is in the springtime when snow is melting and air is really wet. The choking of a boiler is a big factor too but it's a catch 22 as I like the aspect of once a day loading as I do not have to be here to keep an even temp in the house and such. Not trying to start a shouting match here, just relaying what I have found over the years.

What I found interesting this year was the ash I'm burning now, with less dry time seems to smoke less on start up than the 8 year dry I have in the building there too. 8 year wood is mainly mulberry, hackberry, cherry and hard maple. Smaller sticks seem to smoke more than large splits as well. I know my stove is not the most efficient or clean burning but it has done what I wanted. I totally am against those who burn wet wood and do NOT agree with that. It's just that some of you might drive by at a certain time and think I was burning wet stuff when I am not. I do everything I can short of buying another stove to do it right. I see all the time people using snow covered wood or wood out in the weather and from my experience woods moisture level goes up and down from atmospheric conditions. I DO know for a fact that kiln dry lumber Moisture content RISES after is is brought in to normal elements.

Again, lets have a discussion here and not finger pointing as I'm interested in what others have found over the years.

I'm curious once you buy a meter what your moisture content on the wood you've had stored indoors will be.

When I started my first year I stored all mine in the barn. Figured with all the wind and being out of the weather it would dry. Boy was I wrong. It was about as green as when I cut it. My indoor epa stove would smoke like crazy tossing in what I assumed was good dry wood that had been stored indoors over a year. It just wasn't the case.

I moved to stacking outdoors on pallets in rows and it dries so much better with the sunlight and fresh breeze.

Keep us posted on what your percentage is once you get a meter. I'm still to cheap to buy one but I know for a fact now my wood is dry since I got a few years ahead.

Also ash is very low moisture content even standing live. I wouldn't hesitate to toss some fresh cut ash in even before some I've had inside for a few years.

Talked with my dealer today and he said that epa is projected to approved the ban on traditional stoves this week. Then it has to actually become a law. But he said as of right now the manufacturer is saying may is the last month for traditional stoves if everything goes as epa plans. He did say everybody is grandfathered if you already have one, and you can still buy and sell the ones in operation. You just cannot buy a new one. I assume we are going to see a lot more people building the traditional ones rather than relying on a manufacturer to produce an epa stove if this happens. The large cost increase for an epa model will surely drive the demand down on them.

I'm curious once you buy a meter what your moisture content on the wood you've had stored indoors will be.

When I started my first year I stored all mine in the barn. Figured with all the wind and being out of the weather it would dry. Boy was I wrong. It was about as green as when I cut it. My indoor epa stove would smoke like crazy tossing in what I assumed was good dry wood that had been stored indoors over a year. It just wasn't the case.

I moved to stacking outdoors on pallets in rows and it dries so much better with the sunlight and fresh breeze.

Keep us posted on what your percentage is once you get a meter. I'm still to cheap to buy one but I know for a fact now my wood is dry since I got a few years ahead.

Also ash is very low moisture content even standing live. I wouldn't hesitate to toss some fresh cut ash in even before some I've had inside for a few years.

Most of the barns we store in have open sides so that air movement is possible. Granted when you stack 80 cord in one spot the center is going to take a while but we tend to use the oldest first. Problem is we fight racoons ALL the time. They seem to think an 8 ft high wood pile is the perfect spot to take a dump. Most of our wood is deads or blow overs. We do clean fencerows and such though but not too often anymore.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a reasonable moisture meter to save me the searching? I seem to recall someone saying Menards carried a decent one. I'm interested too to see what is what. I do know I found no difference from wood on the outside of the stack to what was closer to the center. Again, we store for quite a few years till it is used.

I bought a cheap meter from harbor freight for around $10. It's the same thing that stihl sells and others, just a different color.

Got to talking to my neighbor a bit this fall when I was hauling in some firewood. He asked what it was for, did I have a stove?

He had moved in the year before and mentioned he didn't realize I had a stove. Saw the chimney pipe but never once noticed smoke coming out of it.

Guess that dry wood works pretty good :rock: What I'm burning this year I split in 2012.

This is exactly right. A select few drag the rest of us with them.

But then again that is America for you. A couple idiots in charge can drag down an entire country by doing whatever they choose.

I agree with getting rid of non efficient OWB. Perfect example. my neighbor who is a half mile away just moved in and installed one. Directly behind his house. Everytime you drive past. Just smoldering wet wood smoke rolling from the stack. Which is only 2 feet tall. Always covering his neighbors house.

No wood piles, no split wood, no trucks or trailers ever with wood on them. Not a stick anywhere to dry. He just has a ol dump truck he goes and cuts fresh logs. Dumps them off and tosses them in. He doesn't even burn constantly. He still hasn't went through s couple cords this year.

While when you drive past our place. No smoke. Clean chimney from 2 stories up. No smoke thanks to a good stove. 10 cords stacked nice to dry for a couple years. Even though I have only one house within a 1/4 mile of me.

Some people take pride in what they do and it shows. Those same people usually have some respect for people as well as the world around them.
Some people just want to say "yea I burn wood" and that I will just never understand.

Back