Band saw mill vs swing blade mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real question is what do you intend to make from the logs? Swing blades make dimensional lumber fast, but have limits on the size boards possible.

Obvious answer... one or more of each! What is your product, and how big are the logs? What species? Are you thinking about hydraulics? How many people will be working with you? What sort of support equipment? My band mill can handle up to 36" dia, 28" wide slabs, so it works well for me.

Obvious answer... one or more of each! What is your product, and how big are the logs? What species? Are you thinking about hydraulics? How many people will be working with you? What sort of support equipment? My band mill can handle up to 36" dia, 28" wide slabs, so it works well for me.
We are starting small.
2 guys and a band saw mill.
We will not be focusing on any sort of wood.
I'm trying to get him to invest more into equipment.
I feel we are going to need trailers, trucks and a skid steer with a grapple.
He says he can secure the capital.
I can't see renting equipment on as needed basis being cost effective.
I'm really just throwing my hat in because he's my friend and he wants me for my experience cutting.

I agree about renting equipment, though I did rent a street-legal trailer for those rare occasions when I had to move heavy logs & lumber. It depends on how often you use it. Make sure your support equipment matches your operation. You might find a 4wd tractor more versatile than a SkidSteer. A lot depends on your business model. Stationary or portable? Will you buy logs, have customers provide them, or bring them to the mill yourself? Borrow as little as possible. It takes a while to build up a business.

The sawmill will be the heart of your operation, so try to look at a few and see how they operate. I've been very pleased with the Norwood sawmill, especially since you can buy it as a manual mill and add hydraulics later. Good solid machine.

Back