Bandit 2550 stump grinder wheel came off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SW ohio. Kyle Brinkman.
What was wrong with the 2015 / 2250R ?
25hp kohler, blown head gaskets at 0.3 hrs coming off truck, sent back new gaskets.....same thing at 3.2hrs. 1 of the first five produced but they should be better since its a bandit! My 254xp chipper is an absolute beast! I would not own another chipper, however stumper is another animal. Let down and feel like i got taken to the cleaners.

I'm not bad mouthing bandit because I love my 200 chipper but I mentioned to my buddy about upgrading to a larger grinder and said the same thing.
The co he worked for had nothing but problems with their new bandit grinder. Said the axel snapped twice in a row.

He said "you should look into a carlton, solid machine".
thx for input.........carlton, carlton......seem to hear that alot!

Bandit has given me 3 different machines to demo...all junk that threw crap everywhere...love their chippers though! I wouldnt buy one of there stumpers if it was dirt cheap...can't keep the cutter wheel from breaking off?! Come on!

Bandit came out with a kit for this - it is a loop and an extended shaft off of the other side - does nothing more than catch the wheel when the shaft breaks!! When you think that wheel is hanging off that little shaft what do you think is going to happen? I really don't know how they can fix this - there are too many breakages (??) to say it is isolated and there is no easy way to put a bigger shaft on all the machines out there. Funny thing is they sell it based on lower maintenance!!

Lol...true....lower maintenance until the important part falls the f@$* off! Then you have a major problem, which actually isn't maintenance at all...it's repair. So i guess their advertising still holds true!

That little circle/loop is what caught it, otherwise I would have been S.O.L. If it flew down the street.
Is funny, back when I purchased it I thought that seemed like a weak point, having just one side holding the wheel, but you just ignore it. I'm finding out more and more with my dealings that WE (The tree guys/end users) know more than some of the "experts" that are supposed to be providing us services.

Id be interested in knowing if that hydraulic motor was designed for this application or if it was just borrowed from something else...i know bandit didnt make it.

dwils asked about a durable stumper. Definitely not the fastest, but for it's size and class works just fine, I've run Vermeer's 252 for 10 years, then bought the new 292 (the replacement for the 252) a year ago last December. Got 600 hours so far, no issues yet. Same bearings, changed belts tho.
Compared to the 252 they put double roller bearings on a larger diameter cutter wheel shaft, swing is now 50", goes 15" deep, ground speed faster. If I had waited a few months (unbeknownst to me) I would have gotten the 362, which is exact same machine as 292 but has 35hp Vanguard instead of 29 hp (or 26.5 w/ new standards), and four wheel stance w/ hydro steering. You never hear of shafts breaking off, frames cracking, hydro motors or pump failing early on 252's, they just work. Had 4300 hrs on the first 252 w/ no issues except engine (Kohler 25) getting tired when I sold it. Maybe not the fastest tool in the shed, but very reliable in my experience.
Can't speak about any of their other grinders, haven't used them. For $16K and change out the door, the 292 works for me and my situation. FWIW.

Stumper63

I have 2550xp, 500 hrs, only issue problems with fuel pump, bandit put on an elec pump and so far no more problems, the dealer
installed the kit in case wheel broke when I got machine 2 1/2 yrs ago, no issues so far, but I can tell u this, if the wheel comes off they
will either fix it no charge or they can have the machine back, I have greenteeth, I keep them sharp to cut down on vibration, the
machine is a big improvement over any other grinder I have had, kinda worried now since reading the above posts..

Bob.....:barbecue:

dwils asked about a durable stumper. Definitely not the fastest, but for it's size and class works just fine, I've run Vermeer's 252 for 10 years, then bought the new 292 (the replacement for the 252) a year ago last December. Got 600 hours so far, no issues yet. Same bearings, changed belts tho.
Compared to the 252 they put double roller bearings on a larger diameter cutter wheel shaft, swing is now 50", goes 15" deep, ground speed faster. If I had waited a few months (unbeknownst to me) I would have gotten the 362, which is exact same machine as 292 but has 35hp Vanguard instead of 29 hp (or 26.5 w/ new standards), and four wheel stance w/ hydro steering. You never hear of shafts breaking off, frames cracking, hydro motors or pump failing early on 252's, they just work. Had 4300 hrs on the first 252 w/ no issues except engine (Kohler 25) getting tired when I sold it. Maybe not the fastest tool in the shed, but very reliable in my experience.
Can't speak about any of their other grinders, haven't used them. For $16K and change out the door, the 292 works for me and my situation. FWIW.

Stumper63

Stumper63, didn't you even had a 252 with a bigger engine?
Interesting to hear you as a very experienced 252 user replacing it!

Is the 292 a noticeable improvement or just a slightly better replacement for an 252?

As you already made 600hrs on the 292, what about the new pulley tensioning system?
I thought it was invented to replace the cheap and trouble-free old pulley arrangement to wear fast and expensive. What are your thoughts on it?

Do you like the belts on the other side? My thoughts where: nice sight on the stump but no sight on the pulley box hitting something on the other side.

Sorry for the little hijack, I had to, too excited hearing that news from stumper.

And yes, a 252 is slow, but very reliable, as long as proper maintenance is done.
A good little machine.

They picked up the 2550 this morning. Said it'll be back Monday. We'll see. The update has a "BEEFIER" shaft i was told. Don't know if that means a new shaft only or changing out the entire hydraulic motor? When I asked they didn't know either.

I have 2550xp, 500 hrs, only issue problems with fuel pump, bandit put on an elec pump and so far no more problems, the dealer
installed the kit in case wheel broke when I got machine 2 1/2 yrs ago, no issues so far, but I can tell u this, if the wheel comes off they
will either fix it no charge or they can have the machine back, I have greenteeth, I keep them sharp to cut down on vibration, the
machine is a big improvement over any other grinder I have had, kinda worried now since reading the above posts..

Bob.....:barbecue:
What year is your 2550, old man?

Stumper63
thanks so much for the input i really appreciate it.

What year is your 2550, old man?
Mine is a 2012, I have one of the first ones produced, they have made a lot of improvements since i
got mine, they expanded the swing arm holes so the dirt doesn't pack and break the shafts, happened
twice to me, I have used the new diesel and new one like mine with the revolution wheel when mine
was in the shop, not impressed with the revolution wheel, seen very little improvement over the
greenteeth, but the diesel did run smoother and quieter than the gas engine, overall dealer has been
great and after getting the fuel issues settled, hoping for no more problems, will be 74 this year so
just about done. ready to call it quits, just hope the bandit will last until I pack it in with no major
problems.....

Bob....:barbecue:

Marne,
Yes, 292 is a big improvement. The added swing of 10" may sound small but in reality it saves you time. At first you can't believe the boom keeps moving that far, but after awhile you just are glad to have it. The added depth is fantastic, again 2" sounds small but in my part of the world replanting is required by City in many cases, so that extra depth let's me get thru bottom of most stumps. Customers hate hitting stump when planting a new tree.
Belts on opposite side is great as it does help view cutting action. Especially nice when grinding right up to a sidewalk. You get used to the belt guard, no issue.
Belt tensioning system has no improvement over 252 in my mind, but seems to work fine. Old way you could loosen two bolts on jackshaft bearing and tension a little w/o having to even take off the belt cover. Now you have to take off one large cover with about 12 bolts to tension either or both belts. Not too bad, don't have to adjust but every 100 hrs or so it seems.

My last 252 was the one I put the 35hp Vanguard on. Was fantastic while engine lasted. Was kinda disappointed that at about 12oo hours it started using oil really bad, I mean about 1/2 quart a day. Machine was used quite a bit before the conversion, so it was time to upgrade. The 29hp, now called a 26.5hp, is alot more powerful than the 25hp my old 252's had. I just wish Vermeer had put a big block Kohler on instead of the Vanguard for the 362. Had 4300 hours on my Kohler 25hp, no issues, can't say the same with the Vanguard I had. Anyway, if machine is still tight enough when the Kohler 29 wears out I'll put a big block Kohler on for sure, unless something better comes along.

Stumper63

They picked up the 2550 this morning. Said it'll be back Monday. We'll see. The update has a "BEEFIER" shaft i was told. Don't know if that means a new shaft only or changing out the entire hydraulic motor? When I asked they didn't know either.
Please let us know how the fix goes.

Latest posts

Back