Bandit 2550 stump grinder wheel came off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rusty area prob means its been partially cracked for a while. At 200 hrs it's hopefully a warranty repair.

In Aus. it would prob be cheaper to buy a new one than cover parts and labour, price it out and see I guess.

Hope you get a better run with it in the future, I like the concept of no belts and bearings.
Anybody have any experience with this? I guess the shaft that comes out of the hydraulic motor snapped. Grinder wheel is totally detached.
I don't know if the whole hydraulic motor needs to be replaced or if I can just get a new shaft.
c2f2c85b47e816c1777101b8085be020.jpg
fc54714886b00247d7c0ed725db3c8ad.jpg
456fcb03a737c3ec6672ecd2cf70236e.jpg

Oops!
I've had this problem. Bandit fixed under warranty with a new motor that has a larger shaft in it. They still want the retainer plate on the machine but they have told me the larger motor shaft is the proper solution. The retainer plate's purpose is to keep the wheel from coming out of the machine. My Bandit rep told me that it has been tested by the engineers at Bandit many many times to be sure the wheel can't come out and it has never failed. The original motor shaft I'm told worked on paper but in reality a larger diameter one was needed. They did a nice job for me, when the problem came up they sent a new motor and retaining plate to my dealer and they installed same day. I believe, it has been a couple years or so but Bandit sent out notification to all dealers at the time about this could happen.

So now i'm offered a 2013 demo 2550XP with blade and kick out controls 44.2 kubota for a reasonably good deal to make it right. Has all upgrades on grind wheel. Just don't know, but its a great deal.

So now i'm offered a 2013 demo 2550XP with blade and kick out controls 44.2 kubota for a reasonably good deal to make it right. Has all upgrades on grind wheel. Just don't know, but its a great deal.

I sure wouldn't be afraid of it.

Not impressed with the Bandit grinder. Bearing issues, hydraulic leaks at the control block, broken hydraulic cylinder....and warranty appears to be pretty much useless. Machine is less than a year old, purchased brand new. Really hurt my opinion of bandit.
Squirrel.....which model do you have?

Could be...Never heard of a problem like this on vermeer gearboxes...those are made in italy.

I was told bandit has been bought out by someone. Hope they don't change the chippers!!! Well i got a great deal on a new carlton sp4015 solves my grinda issue. They even took this bandit for a great trade in! Sigh of relief!! Bandit rep said he never heard of any 2550 issues..............his maintenance manager knew all about flying wheels and said they had fixed several. HHHHMMMM sounds like BS to me. Glad i unloaded it and didn't buy a 2550. If you have a 2550 hope it's newer!!!

The Alamo Group was going to buy Bandit. However that deal did not work out. Bandit is still an independent company.

I have personally witnessed Bandit steel breaking is ways it shouldn't. Makes me think they have gone with a cheaper supplier.
I know they changed blade supplier from Simonds to Zenith, from good quality to not so good quality, just to save a few bucks.

I bought a Carlton! I'm stuck with this P.O.S. Bandit till i can trade it off next year. For a bigger Carlton!! Bandit reps keep saying "We have no problems" BS!! Forward that to Dennis Baker in Indy so he can't say "no" problems anymore!! Bandit chippers are awesome!!! Bandit stumpers......not worth the money!!!!! I lost a boatload on my Bandit mistake....won't happen again! The single biggest mistake since starting my company was buying that stumper!!! Please do your homework and don't listen to a salesman on choice of equipment! Thanks again to all the wisdom and experience on here! Learned a lesson for sure!!! What can be said about Carlton chippers? Any input greatly needed!!!

Got my grinder back! ! Yyyaaaayyyy! Check it out!
It shoots fire now!
They told me they did some "test stumps" to make sure everything was working good! Yeah Right :(

Bandit totally dropped the ball............again!!! Sad.............

Latest posts

Back