Baptized the new splitter today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe the 'happy' pill is kicking in (back hurts BAD!!!) or because we are at the local library right now but all i see is one picture of the back of a particularly loaded truck? :confused:

guess i will look when i get home :D

Happy Birthday!!

I think they are breeding during the night ;). If I cut everything I said I would this year those stacks will reach the rediculous...oh! they already are! I have rights to..umm, 3 locusts for Kaiser, 3 for Rick, 15 for Ron. 3 huge Willows that I need to fulfill a longstanding promise to a farmer..

All of that showing is locust that I am stockpiling for my 'retirement' when I am too feeble to cut anymore. Locust just doesn't rot. My 74th is coming up tomorrow and that 'wooding' is all that keeps me going.

I have already been eyeballing how the splitter could be cut apart and built right as well as adding an 'out feed' table. It could stand to be a couple inches higher to suit me.

Harry K

You sound like my father. He was in his 70's when I build the splitter. Before that he was doing 12-15 cords of wood per year and split everything by hand. Once he got the splitter, mom couldn't keep him out of the woods. He burned all the small brush piles and the pastures looked like a park.

Congrats on the new splitter.. Wow! 74 years old and still going strong...
Did you ever think that they put on a small gas tank so a person can get a little rest while re-filling.

Happy Birthday!!

My mind must be going. I was most of the way through the OP and wondering WTH are those pictures when I realized _I_ was the OP. I know those two pictures are not the ones I posted...AHA! I deleted the right pictures in Photobucket and the those two pics are of a big willow I laid down last August or Sept - they must have taken the URL of the deleted ones.

How is it working - great but the log cradle is a poor design. In spite of all my shade-treeing to redesign it, I couldn't come up with a better one. any roughness on the roundbeing split tends to catch on the top bar and shear bolts off. I have replaced all 8 bolts at least once and took my frustrations out on it while straightening the brackets using my BFH.

Can't think of any reasonable reason for one not pumping other than perhaps low oil. Best would be to take it back to Lowe's. I found one of the airfilter cover clips broken on mine, called them and they replaced the machine with no questions asked.

Harry K

17 sec cycle time but I couldn't keep up with it. That thang worked me to death

Yep. A lot of us have been saying that cycle time is overrated. :cheers:

Unless you are doing production work, or have plenty of help, 8 seconds or 18 doesn't really make any practical difference. There are too many other factors involved. Cycle time gets lost in the mix.

Last edited:
I have the big brother to your splitter. Your right about the layout it sucks. I also do not like the log cradle mine are about to fall off.

My mind must be going. I was most of the way through the OP and wondering WTH are those pictures when I realized _I_ was the OP. I know those two pictures are not the ones I posted...AHA! I deleted the right pictures in Photobucket and the those two pics are of a big willow I laid down last August or Sept - they must have taken the URL of the deleted ones.

How is it working - great but the log cradle is a poor design. In spite of all my shade-treeing to redesign it, I couldn't come up with a better one. any roughness on the roundbeing split tends to catch on the top bar and shear bolts off. I have replaced all 8 bolts at least once and took my frustrations out on it while straightening the brackets using my BFH.

Can't think of any reasonable reason for one not pumping other than perhaps low oil. Best would be to take it back to Lowe's. I found one of the airfilter cover clips broken on mine, called them and they replaced the machine with no questions asked.

Harry K

thank GOD, i thought i was loosing my mind... :D :D

Yep. A lot of us have been saying that cycle time is overrated. :cheers:

Unless you are doing production work, or have plenty of help, 8 seconds or 18 doesn't really make any practical difference. There are too many other factors involved. Cycle time gets lost in the mix.

BTW I installed 8" of 'stroke restricters which really speeded things up. No more waiting for the cylinder to 'dead head' through 8" of empty space while holding the handle. My wood is cut 16" nominal. I have only had to temporarily remove one spacer twice to allow for splitting over long chunks.

002-8.jpg

IIRC somewhere in the $40 range for four 2" ones. If you use them, they should be removed after each use or you have 8" of cylinder rod exposed to the elements. I do have some problem keeping them positioned correctly (spring side down) as they tend to rotate and catch on things back near the cylinder.

Harry K

turnkey,

congrads on your new splitter, i`m sure your gonna like it. i just got a new one last week so far so good, but it does need a work table, log cradle of some kind.

herman

Latest posts

Back