New Guy in North Georgia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NGaMountains

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself, give a quick bit of background and ask a few questions for anyone who might have some thoughts.

I moved to a new home in the north Georgia mountains last December, and proceeded to spend almost $400 on propane in my worst month last winter. This year I've had my two chimney flues relined, am having a wood stove installed in the downstairs firebox next week, and have started working craigslist hard for free wood and processing it myself. I rented a hydraulic splitter for a week in late September (TSC Huskee/Countyline 22 Ton) and split about 3 cords, and had no problem with anything I put in front of it.

Since then I've come across several more truckloads of free wood, including Bradford Pear (2) and Hickory (3). With having all that sitting around, I built some 16' wood racks with the cinder block/landscape timber/2x4 design, to get it off the ground, but also have about 15 or so hickory rounds that are all 20" plus in diameter and too heavy to lift, so I've had those standing up drying in the sun/wind, and itching for another splitter to get all the hickory and pear split.

I scratched that itch tonight, deciding to buy the DHT 22-ton that was on sale at Lowe's for $899 ending today, and with a 10% coupon got it for $810, which I felt was too darn good to turn down and will probably be all I'll ever need.

So, here are a couple questions if anyone's up for them:

1) When my DHT is delivered to Lowe's in the next couple days and I have them put the crate in the bed of my truck with their Hi/Lo, will I be in deep you know what trying to get the parts out of my truck, even taking the crate apart in the bed and taking things out a piece at a time? The biggest concern is the beam/cylinder assembly, which I can't find a spec on what it weights, but with the whole unit weighing 600+ pounds I'm thinking this may be quite the challenge. Once everything is down and in front of me I'm not too worried about getting it put together.

2) Concerning the hickory I got, I have it all save the 20"+ rounds stacked as rounds, with great exposure to sun and wind, so I think it's drying pretty well as rounds, with considerable cracking starting to show on the ends. Would I be better off splitting the smaller hickory rounds in a week or so once I get the DHT put together and split the very large rounds, or given they're already stacked and off the ground, should I leave them as rounds through the winter and split them next spring? I'm not sure which way will make for easier splitting.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and all the great advice I've read so far in doing what I've done. This is all brand new to me this year.

If you do not want to assemble in the back of your pickup then put some healthy 2Xs and drag it out on a small mound or embankment and go for it. Mine weighs in at over 11oo lbs and I have put it in the back of my dump truck at least a 100 times. Your unit probably weighs at 600 to 700 lbs a very easy endeaver, but if you have not done it before then it could be a challenge. Unpack it and see what kind of a challenge it is. If it comes in sections such as motor is not mounted then it will be even easier. If your bed is nice might want to put a piece of carpet down for protection and it will aide your removing the unit. Thanks

Lowes delivered my DHT 22 to the inside of the garage. I was able to slide the plywood box outside the garage for assembly.
It took me about 4 hours to assemble the splitter. That was 2 years ago. I was 62 and hardly a "Joe Atlas".

Lowes delivered my DHT 22 to the inside of the garage. I was able to slide the plywood box outside the garage for assembly.
It took me about 4 hours to assemble the splitter. That was 2 years ago. I was 62 and hardly a "Joe Atlas".
Thanks, Casrep. I'm trying to save Lowe's $75 delivery fee since I have a HD pickup. We'll see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back