Bar and chain for my 029?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYH1

Tacticle Chainsaw Operator.
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 029 Farm Boss. I have a 20 inch Stihl bar and a 325 RM2 chain on it right now. I'm going to put a 18 inch bar and chain on it. My question is should I go with a Stihl 18 inch bar and RM chain (not going to use RM2 chain)? Or should I try a Arbor Pro "narrow kerf bar" with a Woodsman Pro 20NK chain (.325 pitch, .050 gauge semi chisel)?

I'm looking for the best overall set up for this saw. I just switched from a Stihl PM1 chain to a PM chain on my little 021. I'm pretty impressed with how much faster it cuts now. I don't know anything about the Arbor Pro narrow kerf bars and Woodsman Pro 20NK chain. Will I gain anything by using the narrow kerf bar and chain? Would you use the Arbor Pro narrow kerf bar with a different chain then the Woodsman Pro 20NK chain?

I use my saws for cutting firewood. I use the 029 for felling and bucking up bigger logs 12 to 16 plus inches (16 inches is about the biggest I cut). I'm open to any and all suggestions! Thanks, NYH1! ;)

Chain for saw

I just stepped in from cutting a load of wood with a new chain I got from Bailey's. I went with 20 RC chain as I didn't want to change to a narrow kerf. On this Shindaiwa 488 with 18" bar, it zipped right through the wood although what I was cutting was not the largest stuff in the world. It was cutting better than the Oregon 325 safety chain I was using. Bailey's will make up a loop for you although it is not as economical as some of their bar/chain combos or premade loop sales. I can't give you any info on the narrow kerf as I haven't tried it, but though I'd give you my 2 cents on the Woodsman's Pro chain I purchased.

NYH1 said:
Is that with the Stihl bar or the Arbor Pro narrow kerf bar?

Those chain designation are Stihl. If you run the Stihl chain, use the stihl bar, or one the same size. Why not just try some other chain on your 20 inch bar? 2 inches isnt worth messing with.

Lakeside53 said:
Those chain designation are Stihl. If you run the Stihl chain, use the stihl bar, or one the same size.
Right. I wasn't sure if Stihl made a RM or RSC for a narrow kerf bar.
Lakeside53 said:
Why not just try some other chain on your 20 inch bar? 2 inches isnt worth messing with.
A few reasons for this.
1- The 20 inch bar doesn't feel right to me. It doesn't balance that good at least not to me.
2- It seems like the 20 inch bar robs power. My friend has a 029 Farm Boss just like mine. He bought his with a 16 inch bar and 325 RM2 chain. His saw cuts quite a bit faster then mine saw does, feel a lot better to me as well. He bought a 20 inch bar for his after he had the saw for a while and sold it because it cut like mine.
3- The only reason I'm not going to put a 16 inch bar on my 029 is because I'm going to get a Husqvarna 353 with a 16 in bar in the Spring. I'll probably use the 353 for about 75% of my cutting!
4- I went from a 16 inch bar to a 14 inch bar on my 021. Even with the PM1 chain the 14 inch set up cuts better. Then I went to a PM chain and it made an even bigger difference. I was thinking the shorter bar might have the same effect on my 029.

Lakeside53 said:
I'll buy that a 20 to a 16 make some sense, but you did say 18 in your original post...
That's correct. I'm going to go with an 18 inch bar on the 029. I mentioned the 16 inch bar my friend uses because it definitely cuts faster. I was hoping an 18 inch bar would be a good comprise between a 16 and an 20. Like I said I'm going to get a Husky 353 with a 16 inch bar. I'll probably use the 353 most of the time anyway's.

I'll use my 021 for small limbing and that kind of stuff. I'll use the 029 for felling and bucking up larger trees. I'll use the 353 for doing everything in between. If I don't like the way the 18 inch bar works and feels I'll probably just sell it. Maybe even buy a Husky 359 w/18" bar.

Having said that my 029 doesn't owe me anything. It's been 100% rock solid since I bought it in 2000. If I can get a little more cutting speed out of it and make it feel better by putting a shorter bar on it I'd rather do that then buy a new saw.

Well I ordered the 18 inch Arbor Pro "narrow kerf bar" and a Woodsman Pro 20NK chain (.325 pitch, .050 gauge semi chisel) from site sponsor Bailey's. I figured I'd give it a try. If I don't like this set up I'm only out $35. Next time I'm at my dealer I'll buy a 20 inch RM chain for my 20 inch bar. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back