Bar and chain oil... Am I the only one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
interesting reading since i have also been running WMO (waste motor oil) in my saw for the past ten years and never really knew better. it hasent caused any problems for me but i can see how it can be to thin to properly lub the bar.

i do filter my oil though to get most of the crap out (i know not all). i am not a big time cutter though running about 3-4 cords a year and some side stuff. i figured it was going into a harsh environment and if it didnt take out the soft babbet bearings in my truck a hardened saw bar should be ok.

i am real interested in running veggie though for the non toxic environmental and spilling on me factor.

Ask any good saw mechanic about waste motor oil in saws... pump damage, bar damage, premature wear on sprockets and sprocket bearings... Guess you've been lucky. Not tomention that it stains the plastics and paint...

Gary

Ask any good saw mechanic about waste motor oil in saws... pump damage, bar damage, premature wear on sprockets and sprocket bearings... Guess you've been lucky. Not tomention that it stains the plastics and paint...

Gary

might be something to do with all my saws at the time being manual oilers with very few plastic parts. i just found this place to open my eyes to all the info readily availible.:)

Been using same hose setup on oil jug and gas can for two years now....... Not as nice looking now. :)

attachment.php

Z009Z044_z.jpg

used in Holland for chain oil it will stops automatically
Z009S088_z.jpg

and this will be used for petrol
both off stihl and it will cost about 20 dollar each

Oil is really $15 a gallon? When did the price jump up? I just got 2 gallons of Stihl oil at a local dealer for $7.77 a gallon about a month ago. And I was just in there 2 weeks ago and it was the same price. I guess I will be making a stop and stocking up on oil.

On a side note, do you guys use the winter mix when it gets cold, or just use the normal Stihl oil?

I was also told by a old timer to use a mix of 50/50 or waste oil and 30w. He said that is all he ever uses. I told him I will stick with the Stihl stuff, it the grand scheme of things you are only talking pennies.

Oil is really $15 a gallon? When did the price jump up? .

Defiantly stock up if you can get it at that. In fact let me know where. It might be cost effective to ship it in. I have mine marked at 14 and some change. Hopefully we will see it go back down some, but I will be surprised if it does.

Defiantly stock up if you can get it at that. In fact let me know where. It might be cost effective to ship it in. I have mine marked at 14 and some change. Hopefully we will see it go back down some, but I will be surprised if it does.

I have a feeling it is priced on the shelves and as they got it. I am sure when they get a new shipment it the price will jump up. They are a farm equipment dealer and sell very little says, it would suprise me if they sell more than 10 saws a year. So there invintory does not move that fast.

There were two increases that I know of this year. My dealer is probably the highest in the nation. Last time I was over there 1 qt. was $ 5 . The bill for 1 gallon of Stihl Bio & 1 gal. of the orange bottle stuff was $ 46.85 inc tax. Dont normaly use bio but wanted to have some on hand should the need arise. Just as an indicater the top going rate for 1 bucket truck with 3 men & the chipper is $ 500.00 per hour around here . Palm trees are $ 200 each to climb plus time & labor. Crazy expensive & no one wants to pay. :deadhorse:

Laundry detergent bottles, well rinsed and DRY, work great for bar oil. The spout pours easily and the drips seep back into the jug. If it gets all dirty, grubby or starts to leak, get a new one.

Slightly off topic but how is the Husqvana bar oil in comparison to the Stihl? My local Lowes is selling the Husky oil for around $10 a gallon.

Slightly off topic but how is the Husqvana bar oil in comparison to the Stihl? My local Lowes is selling the Husky oil for around $10 a gallon.

I have the same question.

The two nearest Stihl dealers aren't very close and they close early. I know Stihl has a great reputation, but has Stihl bar oil actually been scientifically tested to be that much better?

I've been using Husqvarna Premium and Tractor Supply Premium bar oils because they are under $10/gallon and the retailers are close.

I have the same question.

The two nearest Stihl dealers aren't very close and they close early. I know Stihl has a great reputation, but has Stihl bar oil actually been scientifically tested to be that much better?

I've been using Husqvarna Premium and Tractor Supply Premium bar oils because they are under $10/gallon and the retailers are close.
Main idea is using quality bar oil Baileys motion lotion,Stihl ,Husky and some other oils will be fine. Motor oil nope. I use Stihl exclusivly because best saw dealer around is a great pro Stihl dealer.

in a pinch ive used 30w with some lucas additive, u can vary the tackiness depending on weather too.

There were two increases that I know of this year. My dealer is probably the highest in the nation. Last time I was over there 1 qt. was $ 5 . The bill for 1 gallon of Stihl Bio & 1 gal. of the orange bottle stuff was $ 46.85 inc tax. Dont normaly use bio but wanted to have some on hand should the need arise. Just as an indicater the top going rate for 1 bucket truck with 3 men & the chipper is $ 500.00 per hour around here . Palm trees are $ 200 each to climb plus time & labor. Crazy expensive & no one wants to pay. :deadhorse:

That is expensive stuff. I just went to check out what the oil was and it is still $7.77 a gallon for it, they had 6 gallons on the shelf so I grabbed them and they said you can just leave those on the shelf, then they went to the back room to get some for me so they didnt have to restock the shelves.

I might go back tommorow if they are selling it for 1/2 the price as everywhere else.

Back