Stihl MS 400 and a 25” bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chewbacca10

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 400. It has a 20” bar usually, but I have a spare 25” that I am planning to use to buck an ash tree. It seems like some people have had issues with the 400 oiling a 25” bar. Is that a legitimate concern or more of an Internet myth?

Stingy would be the word I use for how it oils. Ended up doing the 461r oiler on my 400. Pretty much keep a 24/5" bar on it full time anymore. Just occasionally I think I may have let the stock oiler on it.

I bought mine with a 25" Light bar on it. Not sure I'd say that it definitely didn't oil enough, but it definitely didn't oil enough for my taste on a >$150 bar.

I installed just the HO adjustment screw, and that was more than enough, if I maxed it out I could drain the oil tank well before the gas. I also wouldn't sweat it in the short term, but then again the adjustment screw is $10, and you can always turn it down...

Interesting, I have the compete ho oiler off the 461r and there's about an 1/8 tank of oil to running the saw out of gas oiler maxed out. As i understand it you needed to swap the piston and Control bolt to get the full benefits. Im not sure just swapping the control bolt would/ should cause it to empty the oil tank before the fuel tank.

Lot of people say 1:1 tank of bar oil to tank of fuel. Generally speaking in my opinion this is excessive, depending on size of power head and bar length. In the case of the MS400 running a 24/25” bar it oils adequately as-is with adjuster at max setting. Ported with a 28” bar is a different story. After a long cut if you can still see oil on the drive links and bar rails your good. Bar oil ain’t cheap these days.

I’m going to try cutting with the stock oiler at maximum.

If I go the replacement route, it seems like replacing the whole oiler assembly is much easier than the adjustment piston (not sure what to call it). Does anyone have the part number for the 462 oiler assembly?

1128 640 3250 is the whole oil pump.

1128 647 4803 is just the control bolt.

Replacing the control bolt isn't as easy as swapping the pump... but it's not difficult, and it's 10% of the price. Replacing the piston is a good bit more work, and if you were doing that you almost might as well just swap the pump. I can't imagine actually needing the piston either way with a 400 though, considering how mine oils without it I wouldn't think even a 28" would be wanting for oil.

1128 640 3250 is the whole oil pump.

1128 647 4803 is just the control bolt.

Replacing the control bolt isn't as easy as swapping the pump... but it's not difficult, and it's 10% of the price. Replacing the piston is a good bit more work, and if you were doing that you almost might as well just swap the pump. I can't imagine actually needing the piston either way with a 400 though, considering how mine oils without it I wouldn't think even a 28" would be wanting for oil.
I replaced both. Very easy job.

On the 660 clones we just grind the ramp on the oil pump a little and they pump about twice as much oil, you can also grind the control bolt, making them just like the HO oiler. These mods are free.
I only have a 20 inch bar but with a 8 pin and dirty fire wood if I use less than 3/4 of a tank of oil to a tank of gas the bar rail plugs up.

i'm a newbie to chainsaws so forgive my ignorance .........
i got 400c a few weeks ago with the 25 inch bar .
with the oiler turn all the way open it will sling oil on a piece of cardboard .
does that mean it's oiling enough ?
it seems to cut fine ... the better half's son contracted to clear powerlines for several years and came over to teach me how to safely use it and did most of the cutting taking down to medium trees and he said it cuts great .....
FWIU it's when folks go longer than 25 that they have problems .
i got the 25 so i don't have to lean over as much when bucking .

with the oiler turn all the way open it will sling oil on a piece of cardboard .
does that mean it's oiling enough ?
If it's slinging a thin line of oil, IMO that's enough. I did the same test with mine when I got it (my 260 that I've had for decades was also a stingy oiler) and it barely put spatters on cardboard maxed out. I guess there's some variability in there.

I just did the adjuster since it was cheap & relatively easy. Rather have some headroom than be just barely good enough turned all the way up, personally.

I have a 400. It has a 20” bar usually, but I have a spare 25” that I am planning to use to buck an ash tree. It seems like some people have had issues with the 400 oiling a 25” bar. Is that a legitimate concern or more of an Internet myth?
I have a MS460 and I run a 24 ' bar on her. Yes with the oiler full open it can heat up the bar. I use universal farm oil on all my saws so I just scoot in some WD40 To thin it up so it oils faster. Wit the 20 ' bar the 460 run fine. Never a bad idea to have a little oiler can with you too if she gets hot.😁

It won't oil a 25 in dead ash. You need a control bolt update. Or lift every ten seconds and wet the chain again.

Been there done that. 361 or 362 is the same pump. 460 or 461R pump is the 🍯 to make you money.

Back