Bar and Chain Oil Preference

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just recently I paid about $2.25 for 48 oz. bottles. I don't usually cut when it is below zero but it flows just fine in cool weather. I have not had trouble with the oil congealing in the saw as some using vegetable oil. But the saws are put up for most of the winter and sit with bar and chain oil in them. The bars and chains don't seem to run any hotter than with reg. bar and chain oil. It does seem to use a little more canola oil than chain oil. But still use just under a tank of oil when gassing up.
I first read about canola oil in the Tree Climbing forum. The commercial arborists(Tree Machine and others) make some very compelling points about the oil.

The price is comparable to bar oil, actually less than it cost most of the time!
3 bottles would be 6.75 that would be 144 oz, 16 more than a gallon of bar oil,which is 8-10 bucks around here!

The price is comparable to bar oil, actually less than it cost most of the time!
3 bottles would be 6.75 that would be 144 oz, 16 more than a gallon of bar oil,which is 8-10 bucks around here!
Tractor Supply Stores (TSC) are now running a sale on good bar and chain oil for $6 a gallon. I decided to stock up and bought 3 gallons. That's the lowest price I've seen in 4 years and the quality is excellent.

Now, If I can just get LOML to give me an empty bottle of fabric softener with a dripless spout...

I am tempted to try the Canola oil. It sounds interesting. In the mean time...I just bought a green gallon bottle of Poulan at Wally world for $6.68. The thing I learned about another reason why I keep buying this stuff is the bottle has a good shape for pouring it into my saw. The TSC bottle...I remember...always was a challenge finding the sweet spot for pouring it without getting it all over my tailgate.

Thanks

Tractor Supply Stores (TSC) are now running a sale on good bar and chain oil for $6 a gallon. I decided to stock up and bought 3 gallons. That's the lowest price I've seen in 4 years and the quality is excellent.

Now, If I can just get LOML to give me an empty bottle of fabric softener with a dripless spout...

That is a good deal! Around here I think its eight something, Baileys also has it on sale for 3 gallon for 14.95, which if the shipping has not gone up to much is a good deal. The baileys motion lotion is my favorite oil so far.

I usually run my saws on my own property so I wouldint think of slinging used oil in the air. I run the Stihl bio oil most of the year. In Canada it is $25 a gallon which hurts!

I would rather spend 25 bucks every once in a while on a $800 dollar saw and a priceless environment. Cost of the oil is just one factor in the total cost.

I might try running canola to save some money.

Yes oil comes from the ground but there is not an ecosystem in the tar sands!

It is illegal here in Ontario Canada to do anything but recycle used oil. FYI using crankcase oil in your saws is not recycling it is reusing. Recycling is reprossesing for it's former use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recycling.

Latest posts

Back