Bar and Chain Oil!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchweddyWood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings and hallucinations, all -

This is my first post, but I'm by no means a greenie to the logging industry. Right to my issue:

After exclusively using Stihl bar and chain oil in the orange bottle for decades, I have finally run out of a massive stash of gallons. Now, I refuse to pay the astronomical price for their B&C oil. It's ridiculous.

What are your guys' favorites for a good price? Don't get me wrong - I don't plan on using the cheapest crap on the market (nor will I assume vegetable oil will do the job), as I only cut firewood and downed limbs from storms and such using a Stihl MS250 and RS chain. I no longer cut every day. Maybe once a week for an hour or so. So what has been a reliable oil at a fair price for ya'll? A buddy of mine swears by Motion Lotion he buys on Bailey's, but I'd like some secondary opinions.

Thanks in advance, fellas!

This is my first post, but I'm by no means a greenie to the logging industry. Right to my issue:

After exclusively using Stihl bar and chain oil in the orange bottle for decades, I have finally run out of a massive stash of gallons. Now, I refuse to pay the astronomical price for their B&C oil. It's ridiculous.

What are your guys' favorites for a good price? Don't get me wrong - I don't plan on using the cheapest crap on the market (nor will I assume vegetable oil will do the job), as I only cut firewood and downed limbs from storms and such using a Stihl MS250 and RS chain. I no longer cut every day. Maybe once a week for an hour or so. So what has been a reliable oil at a fair price for ya'll? A buddy of mine swears by Motion Lotion he buys on Bailey's, but I'd like some secondary opinions.

It's all pretty much about the same. The power care oil I ran from HD some years back was really thin, so I don't use that one. Other than that get what you can buy the cheapest, for myself that's usually TSC oil, it seems to always be on sale too.

It's all pretty much about the same. The power care oil I ran from HD some years back was really thin, so I don't use that one. Other than that get what you can buy the cheapest, for myself that's usually TSC oil, it seems to always be on sale too.

I've heard Tractor Supply does have good oil. I may just do that.

Rural King has bar Oil for $4.99 a gallon.

TS has it on sale quite often. I've seen it as low as $3.99 gal.

I was just looking at the reviews. Some sound great, a couple scary ones. Still, even at $5.99/gal, that beats the hell out of Stihl's B&C oil prices. I think I'll pick some up at my local TSC. Just a few miles up the road from me, so that'll be convenient.

I've always used echo bar oil. Not the cheapest but not ridiculous either. It performs well in all conditions. Sticks really well. I like seeing a nice a nice glaze on my chains.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I'm the fly in the ointment. The cog in the wrench. And I do not recommend ya follow my lead. My saws with manual oilers, and overrides get strained drain oil, and the few newer saws get the good stuff, like that $5-$6 ouch! a gallon oil. At the free price I pay I will punch that oiler button till it glows red. And then depending on how long the loop is I go buy a new chain for between $25-$40... And that ladies and gentlemen is not a whole bunch of store bought high priced recycled, not to be taken internally, bar oil.

I'm the fly in the ointment. The cog in the wrench. And I do not recommend ya follow my lead. My saws with manual oilers, and overrides get strained drain oil, and the few newer saws get the good stuff, like that $5-$6 ouch! a gallon oil. At the free price I pay I will punch that oiler button till it glows red. And then depending on how long the loop is I go buy a new chain for between $25-$40... And that ladies and gentlemen is not a whole bunch of store bought high priced recycled, not to be taken internally, bar oil.
That’s like taking a shower and putting dirty clothes on, your mileage may vary.:p

That’s like taking a shower and putting dirty clothes on, your mileage may vary.:p
It's true. The cleanup is a little messy. Not scraping nice clean oil/wood chips off the front. Just a little darker gunk. But I do the math with the help of my smarter than me phone, and figger I save about a "C" note every chain. And that is why I like being an American. I don't think I'll put gas in the truck because I crashed it yesterday, but I did save my dirty clothes to grace my appearance after my shower this morning. I don't mean to be sh*TTY, just feeling froggy. I've been told I'm pretty nice, just opinionated. And OLD! Goes hand in hand.

I used to get this stuff at Auto Zone, in a green jug, I think it was Itasca brand. It was real tacky, I liked it a lot and also used it as air filter oil in my enduro bike.

Does anybody use hydraulic oil or maybe drain oil? Does drain oil really clog the oiler?

I used to get this stuff at Auto Zone, in a green jug, I think it was Itasca brand. It was real tacky, I liked it a lot and also used it as air filter oil in my enduro bike.

Does anybody use hydraulic oil or maybe drain oil? Does drain oil really clog the oiler?
That's not the issue with drain oil.

Back