Bar Chain oil,Laundry deterget bottles,neat idea?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinj

Whatarya, Goofy?
Reaction score
I starting using my wifes laundry detergent bottles for chain oil. When empty, rinse and flush turn upside down for a day. Let dry. Has any one else tried this? No doubt. I think it works great.The spout is designed in a way that if there may be an overspill, it can go back into the container.It is the TIDE detergent container.( it's closest to the STIHL oil color ) but I'm sure there are many other detergent containers like it.

Thats a really good Idea, I don't know how many of those I have sent to the Recycler or just chunked in the trash I will give that one a go.....

Omg

You would not believe it if I told you. I just figured that out tonight about 2hrs ago when the wifey was rinsing out a detergent bottle. LMAO. That is so funny. Jinx, you owe me a beer... :cheers:

Dish detergent squirt bottle

That brings up another thought.... I wonder how an empty dish detergent squirt bottle with the little push valve on top would work? The oil thickness is somewhat comparable to that of dish detergent. Hmmmmmm....

you guys have way to much time on your hands to be transfering liquid from one 1 gallon container to another....

I use an old Sta-Lube pump designed for their gallon gugs of 90wt oil.

The pump screws right on to the jug of bar oil and I used a length of silicone tubing for the dispensing end. I got tired of covering half the saw with oil everytime I filled up.

Most of the older saws have odd shaped resivours and they fill up slowly......thenrealquick.

Wait, Ill go take a pitcher......

kevinj said:
I starting using my wifes laundry detergent bottles for chain oil. When empty, rinse and flush turn upside down for a day. Let dry. Has any one else tried this? No doubt. I think it works great.The spout is designed in a way that if there may be an overspill, it can go back into the container.It is the TIDE detergent container.( it's closest to the STIHL oil color ) but I'm sure there are many other detergent containers like it.
The only problem is if the bottle tips over, the oil gets up in the cap area and next time you go to use it, the oil slops all over.
The best bottles are those one gallon bottles that bar oil comes in. They have tin foil over the spout and you can make the hole in the foil whatever size that works for you.
Then when it's empty, you throw it away and get a new one, already full of oil!

Freakingstang said:
you guys have way to much time on your hands to be transfering liquid from one 1 gallon container to another....

:hmm3grin2orange:

It is an issue though, for me at least. The stihl bottle has no neck and is hard to get close enough to the oil hole to keep from making a mess. I switched to Husky oil just for the jug design. It's short with a narrow neck and you can get alot closer by pouring sideways.

Maybe I'll get a life for christmas................

I took a pitcher.......

And it looks like this!

attachment.php

I've noticed that it never seems to fail that the saw makers put the oil fill hole right next to or under the front handle so that it's almost impossible to empty the jug without spilling oil all over the saw. :censored:

Freakingstang said:

+1.

If I ever get around to buying a 2-in-1 gas/oil can to have one less thing to have to carry for trail clearing, then I might transfer the oil. But otherwise, I'll just stuff a rag in the oil jug handle and wipe any spilled oil off the saw.

i have this new fangled device called a "funnel". its really cheap too, less than 40 cents at any auto store.

:yoyo: :biggrinbounce2: :laugh: :D :ices_rofl: :chainsaw: :clap: :hmm3grin2orange:

bcmktg said:
That brings up another thought.... I wonder how an empty dish detergent squirt bottle with the little push valve on top would work? The oil thickness is somewhat comparable to that of dish detergent. Hmmmmmm....

I sometimes use a large pancake syrup bottle. Similar to the dish detergent bottle, but has a larger opening in the spout. It works pretty well. I use one of the short fat ones for my little Echo and it actually fits inside the carrying case with the saw.

SRT-Tech said:
i have this new fangled device called a "funnel". its really cheap too, less than 40 cents at any auto store.

:yoyo: :biggrinbounce2: :laugh: :D :ices_rofl: :chainsaw: :clap: :hmm3grin2orange:

Sorry, I prefer not to contend with funnels slobbering stringy oil goop around after you use them and then have them gather wood chips, dirt, and grit for the next time you use them. Wipe them off? Well, if I am going to wipe something off, it might as well be the saw where I try and fill it with the regular oil container. One thing I try to remember to throw in the tool bag is a cheap paint brush to brush away debris from around the oil cap and gas cap before I unscrew them. It helps keep debris out of the tanks.

Freakingstang said:

+1

Wow, my local Stihl mechanic showed me a trick that solves this problem:

When you first buy a gallon jug of oil, DO NOT remove the foil seal on the mouth of the jug. Instead, take the handle of your scrench and jab one hole through the foil seal near the "bottom" of the opening if you were to try to pour from the jug. Then, when you go to fill your saw, you take your oil jug and squeeze it with both hands and you get a spillproof slow stream of oil out of it, almost like a ketchup bottle. Works great!

I just assumed that all experienced chainsaw people did this...apparently not! :welcome:

I bought one of thoes cheap little screw on caps that fit any size bottle. The spout is only about one or two inches long and fits right into the oil filler, the diameter is just the right size to restrict a large flow of oil. The spout turns to open and close. No drips, muss or fuss.

Last edited:
kevinj said:

If you use an old Downy bottle your wood will come out smelling Aprilly fresh.:D

I have used and still use

Gear oil bottles with the small squeeze tip but I buy bar oil bulk.
If the quart bottle squeeze tube still can't reach the filler I use a piece of tubing pushed on to the cap nipple. The only problem is losing the little red cap and then the bottle tipping over making a mess

Back