Bar grease.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here, and especially with a chain that's not right for the species of tree or the wood is frozen.
Although I never "logged".
I never lost a tip on a landing saw that cut only skidded logs full of dirt. You would expect a tip failure in those conditions.
I believe what happens is the sprocket cracks after so many cycle of cold snow meeting warm sprocket causing the tip to puke. That's just an idea, I haven't any concrete proof of that.

I changed this bar out about 16 months ago. Im on my 4th or 5th chain , i wear them down to knubbins, before i change them out.

My saw usage changed , i used to go through 1 chain a year and get 3 maybe 4 years usage.

When i started greasing on this bar , this was the first time, doing this as a experiment. I use the cheap $5gal bar oil, instead of the stihl on this bar. Oil usage is the same rate. The bar just runs faster and cooler. I think it is worth it. I have a little heat wear on the nose but none on the channel. Where it normal heats up. The sleigh footing has been minimal. Ive cut between 40 and 50 cords with this barView attachment 949235
Sand Sock, are you saying the cheaper bar oil runs Cooler/ faster?

Im saying the chain rpm has less friction and the chains running cooler and faster, with combined practices. Instead of running maybe 13200, maybe its 13500. I can feel the difference. And my bar is lasting better

Sand Sock, are you saying the cheaper bar oil runs Cooler/ faster?
I been using Stihl Woodcutter bar oil for a while. I had a few gallons of ACE hardware universal bar oil given to me. Free why not use it. I noticed an increase in bar mushrooming on the edges using the ACE oil. The ACE oil is very thin. Not alot of difference but my edges of my bar need dressed more often using the thinner oil in my observation.

I do grease the clutch drum bearing. Most Huskies are easy using one of them goofy grease guns. Put right in the end crankshaft. I even maintain my Stihls more of a hassle. You have remove the clutch drum and put grease on the bearing. Ive seen badly worn cranks from that bearing being dry .Stihl bearings being melted being in a plastic cage

Here you go. I blew a few nose teeth, doing a bore cut.then jammed up the sprocket. Just over 1 1/2 years. 5 chains worn out and 2 or 3 more in my rotation. The bar stayed cooler and didnt sleigh foot and sections that normally burn on the bars didnt.20220113_081758.jpg

Here you go. I blew a few nose teeth, doing a bore cut.then jammed up the sprocket. Just over 1 1/2 years. 5 chains worn out and 2 or 3 more in my rotation. The bar stayed cooler and didnt sleigh foot and sections that normally burn on the bars didnt.View attachment 955951
All depends on what your doing with. Paint comes off a bar faster when failing. Dirty wood like wise removes paint faster. Lack of paint doesn't mean the bar got hot.
Also some paints tougher than others.

Latest posts

Back