Bar length choices...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clem

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have decided on the Stihl 260 as my next purchase, decent dealer, price 370.00 with an 18" bar. Is there any real reason to be picky about what size bar to get? I suppose a 16" would suit me fine, but is there a time where the 18" is better? Other saw is a Poulan Pro Super 25, 16" bar. Thanks, Clem.

Short bars mean less drag/friction between bar and chain thus better chain speed and higher performance. Longer bars allow the cutting of larger trees more easily. The diffrences are quite oticable when comparing bars that are at the extremes of what a particular powerhead can handle. 16" or 18" on an 026 is eeny or meeny. I would choose 18" for less stooping while limbing and the ability to cut a little larger wood without swapping sides on the log.

if the 026 is your only saw and you do cut some sizable wood I might go with the 18", but if you also have a larger saw to deal with larger wood, the balance and speed of the 16" is preferable.

If go as far as 20" 3/8 on the 026 you start to loose ground fast,
even with a muffler job.

Brian

I`d take the 18" bar with .325 chain on the 260. See if the dealer will give you RS chain instead of the RM chain or atleast get the RM without those goofy bumpers. It will cut faster and also bore cut.

Russ

I think I'll take the "safer" chain for now. I have had some experience with smaller saws (and a few hours with the 260) but think I'll wear out a chain before replacing it with something more agressive. Thanks to all for the replies. Clem.

I'm using a 20" bar on my MS 260 with RS chain and it is cutting great!

I've had no power problems with the longer bar. None at all.

Plenty of UMPH with big chips a-flyin'..........

Love that saw.

Latest posts

Back